Are our Tower Blocks safe?

I live in a tower block and we have no sprinkler system. we have fire hydrants on every 2nd floor.

Today SCC have announced that they will be putting in sprinklers in all SCC flats, they also say that the flats are checked every day this is technically true we have block cleaners who check the stairs and the landings.

The Council also say that the flats have regular safety checkups. The last time the fire dept came and did checks was a couple of years ago, the same with the electrical checks.

Granted that we have two stairwells. We also have smoke detectors and heat detectors.

I sit on my local Tara group committee and have meetings with the council every couple of months. I don't remember any one from the council in any meeting that I have been to in the past 5 years mention anything about any safety checks.

Are the council putting profit before people?

I find it beyond sad that action is only being taken (re the sprinklers) after this awful tragedy. Has your building been fitted with new cladding in the last few years? If so, you must demand urgent assurances from the relevant authorities. I don't live in a high rise myself but can totally understand how anxious this must be making you feel.

The cladding was put up in 1994/5 we have had assurances from SCC saying that the cladding is safe. I have a Tara meeting next week so I will see what the SCC come up with.

How are they putting profit before people? f they were then you would be paying market rent .

I expect they are having emergency meetings with the chief fire officer and building inspectors plus associated experts in order to assess any risk and to ensure they are safe.

As a priority they need to check the safety of any cladding. I expect central government to make some money available for any refurbishment that needs doing.

They took out the sprinklers to save money, how is that not putting money before people?

Guest sibon
They took out the sprinklers to save money, how is that not putting money before people?

When did they take them out?

I'd have thought that removing sprinklers would cost money, not save it.

I full understand your anxiety though. I hope the checks are thorough and you quickly get some peace of mind.

If you read the website of the residents action group in London where the fire was it suggests there could be a fair bit of negligence on the H&S front by the property management company that ran those tower blocks. Obviously the enquiry is yet to investigate and report to confirm the various accusations.

But certainly if the council in Sheffield have properly thought through designs, have maintained the building properly, provided a proper evacuation plan and engaged satisfactorily with residents groups then things sound a lot better here and I wouldn't be too worried.

I thought all flats owned by Sheffield Council had sprinklers?

http://www.thestar.co.uk/news/fire-sprinkler-scheme-rolled-out-across-sheffield-1-7009782

That relates to low rise blocks, but there's going to be a mad scramble to get sprinklers installed asap across the nation, if not the world.

Makers and installers are going to be very busy. Prevention of fire is, of course, even more important.

Where??????

I wonder about the boom in external insulation for houses. Is this safe? Could this be a fire risk? Since expanded polystyrene melts and gives off toxic fumes, should we be alarmed by this trend?

I wonder about the boom in external insulation for houses. Is this safe? Could this be a fire risk? Since expanded polystyrene melts and gives off toxic fumes, should we be alarmed by this trend?

I understand much of it is the same type of material, however where and how it's installed will be relevant.