River witham bream fishing

You know I’ve seen the same thing down on the sheffield canal our eastern folk

Fishing for the table

So long as they follow limits of size and species anyone can take fish, legally. Of course if it states that no fish to be taken away which does happens on private waters and commercials then taking fish would be wrong.

Canal and river fish are fair game for folk inclined to take fish.

Before crabbing anyone, not only immigrants for taking fish check the bylaws that used to alter from region to region.

Not everyone taking fish are breaking the law, even if the odd angler hate the idea of what they perceive as their little pets for food.

A change of very old bylaws would be the way to stop those that take fish legally.

By the way I do not condone those who would take our wild fish.

If you look on the Canal and River Trust website under waterway wanderer ticket ,which covers the Sheffield Canal it states " no native species may be removed "

The only species that should not be returned to the water when caught are Zander and Crayfish

If you look on the Canal and River Trust website under waterway wanderer ticket ,which covers the Sheffield Canal it states " no native species may be removed "

The only species that should not be returned to the water when caught are Zander and Crayfish

I don't doubt what you say, do you think that may be a bylaw ?

It is in the rules of the canal and river trust

All angling clubs can dictate what happens within the law on what can be done on there waters ie no taking of fish , no double hooking , no tins, all people must be in possession of a landing net, all persons under 16 must be accompanied by an adult etc

All are reasonable rules that all anglers shouldn't need to be told.

Hi has anyone fished on the witham recently got to be 25 years since I was there

Bream fishing dose anyone go there nowadays please let me know if anyone has any information as I would love to give it another crack:)

We have a caravan at shortferry which is situated off the witham in between five mile house and bardney most of it is unfish able but there are som pegs at five mile house

I moved to Lincolnshire 10 years ago after years of trying to talk the wife into it. I used to go on the Witham regular and had some good fishing. Not now though the Fossdyke is Crystal clear in the summer and the weed growth is terrible, the water is too clear in the Witham too. The banks along the river Witham are not cut back and its mostly unfishable, commerants are rife as well. The other morning I saw a flock of 19 commerants flying over our house toward the toward the Trent, I always thought they were loners still we keep trying and hope and pray that it comes back as it used to be.

I don't know much about fishing, but there used to be trips out to Kirkstead back in the 1960s. A film was made of this excursion and it can be seen on Talking Pictures TV Fri 23 November at 15:00.

Sheffield Anglers 1960s – Glimpses Charming documentary made in the 1960s following the exodus of 100s of men every Sunday from Sheffield to Lincolnshire, Kirkstead for the weekly fishing competition.

Used to catch the train from Darnall with my dad and uncle ,get off at Five Mile House , over Sincil and walk towards Bardney

Used to be a black hut belonging to railway always used to fish Sincil behind it

Dad and uncle used to fish Edgar Allen matches on Witham

Few years back could drive down to Five Mile House and drive down old rail tracks now been resurfaced as a cycle path

As for the state of the Witham and Sincil very much like Stainy ,it's just covered in algae and weed in fact greener than my lawn

---------- Post added 15-11-2018 at 10:07 ----------

Caught the train many a time from Darnall with my dad and uncle,get off at Five Mile House and fish the Sincil while dad fished Edgar Allen matches on Witham

Regarding the state of it ,if you don't use it you will lose it

No good bleating on forums about the state of waters bombard the EA with complaints