Towering inferno in London

There was mention on TV yesterday that they did not want to be housed within sight of the building: fair enough, I can imagine it would be fairly traumatic to keep looking at it, but at the same time they want to be re-housed locally and it is a damn great big tall thing that can be seen for miles...

There was a father and grown up son on the News this week, who were complaining about still being in an hotel. They said they refused a property in Westminster because it was outside the district and refused a property within the district, because it was on a busy road. I suspect some of these people are listening too much to troublemakers and refusing to take perfectly good accommodation offered to them.

For a short time put them into private rental properties. Not ideal but likely cheaper than a hotel and a higher standard of accommodation for the families who can try to rebuild their lives. Just put yourself into their shoes for 5 mins, you've had your entire life go up in smoke, are likely suffering significant trauma as a result of the tragedy and seeing other people burning to death, guilt because you survived and are now living in a hostel or hotel a long distance from your work or kids schools. If it costs us (the taxpayer) a few more pounds to pick up the cost of private rentals so these people can start to rebuild then that's fine by me.

i agree private rental short term, but its going to very difficult to please everyone especially as a lot of the residents were there in illegal sub lets allegedly ?? some of the people here are here illegally as well. yes it must be awful for this to happen but the fact remains that high cost accommodation is not a long term option, maybe a hostel type building converted from an unused building until the whole situation is clear on where people have to go.

---------- Post added 07-07-2017 at 11:12 ----------

They should be offered at least the same size but also shouldn't turn them down for something bigger.

a difficult task short term what happens with a multi sub let?

There was mention on TV yesterday that they did not want to be housed within sight of the building: fair enough, I can imagine it would be fairly traumatic to keep looking at it, but at the same time they want to be re-housed locally and it is a damn great big tall thing that can be seen for miles...

The goal must surely be to get rehoused in a good local authority house that they can buy, that is what I would be thinking.

The goal must surely be to get rehoused in a good local authority house that they can buy, that is what I would be thinking.

Any property in London that they are housed in will be worth buying. As council tenants they have the 'right to buy' - They will enjoy a nice percentage reduction too on the market value no doubt.

Any property in London that they are housed in will be worth buying. As council tenants they have the 'right to buy' - They will enjoy a nice percentage reduction too on the market value no doubt.

Do you mean the survivors of the tragedy? I despair sometimes at people's callous failure of empathy.

Do you mean the survivors of the tragedy? I despair sometimes at people's callous failure of empathy.

Instead of 'they' - What terminology would you like me to use, may I ask ?

Instead of 'they' - What terminology would you like me to use, may I ask ?

Survivors, bereaved, people, etc.

Post 65 originally quoted the 'survivors' as - they

I was simply using his terminology, to reply to 'his' post

Replacing the words "them" and "they" with any of those words render the post in question grammatical nonsense.