Towering inferno in London

10, 000 fire doors missing in flats in Camden . Council leader has got no answers to why . Is it the tories fault ?

No, like I said from the start of this it's all administrations of all types, local and national.

It's going to be painful to watch this play out.

No, like I said from the start of this it's all administrations of all types, local and national.

It's going to be painful to watch this play out.

In England only, no problems in Scotland, they tightened building regulations in 2005. So why could they see the writing on the wall in Scotland, but not England?

In England only, no problems in Scotland, they tightened building regulations in 2005. So why could they see the writing on the wall in Scotland, but not England?

Lord only knows.

This just looks like a blatant disregard for people. Labour and the Tories are going to be the main culprits of course.

It's been noticeable over the last few days that a pattern is emerging of Tories and other free market enthusiasts trying to describe any political analysis of the reasons so many people died as "point scoring" or "making political capital out of" the Grenfell fire. I find this disturbing for two reasons: First, people should be able to say what they think about a status quo that has allowed this to happen without being told that certain points of view are invalid regardless of whether they are well informed or pertinent; second, it suggests a desire to not look too closely at how this has been allowed to happen and therefore not learn and apply the lessons. I wonder if some free market extremists are intent on continuing their war on "red tape" and the "burdensome" nature of keeping people safe who don't have a lot of money.

Just a few questions I've thought about since seeing the reaction (though not necessary aimed at your post, but just in general on these thoughts of yours)

How many Labour councils had the cladding put on their buildings?

Why didn't they stop it since everyone is suddenly a 'cladding-expert'?

Why weren't all the protesters protesting about this cladding before the fire, since everyone knew about it?

Just a few questions I've thought about since seeing the reaction (though not necessary aimed at your post, but just in general on these thoughts of yours)

Why weren't all the protesters protesting about this cladding before the fire, since everyone knew about it?

I've seen a photo today of who this system is constructed, sent to me by a mate who lives in a block where they have removed panels for testing.

Can understand now how the building went up the way it did. It wasn't just the external cladding, but also the insulation that was most likely flammable.

What a mess. This is probably tens of thousands of properties at risk.

Billingham have some that failed. The leader of the council said they asked for fire retardant cladding when they were upgraded a few years ago.

Seems to me you don't get what you ask for

It was central government that declined to tighten up the building regulations and sat on the report from the specific tower that burnt down and did nothing...

It was central government that declined to tighten up the building regulations and sat on the report from the specific tower that burnt down and did nothing...

This is true. The report from the Lakanal inquest was published while the coalition was in power. They did nothing with it and at the same time started identifying Regulation that could be stripped back. In hindsight they were never going to respond to the report by adding more regulation. In fact even in the week of the Grenfell fire they were meeting to discuss removing regulation on building cladding.

This is true. The report from the Lakanal inquest was published while the coalition was in power. They did nothing with it and at the same time started identifying Regulation that could be stripped back. In hindsight they were never going to respond to the report by adding more regulation. In fact even in the week of the Grenfell fire they were meeting to discuss removing regulation on building cladding.

Can you substantiate your last sentence?

Margaret Hodge MP said on the daily politics show yesterday that both the past conservative and Labour governments were to blame for putting cladding on buildings.

Can you substantiate your last sentence?

More than happy to.

http://energydesk.greenpeace.org/2017/06/22/building-regulations-red-tape-initiative-grenfell-tower/

---------- Post added 27-06-2017 at 16:23 ----------

Margaret Hodge MP said on the daily politics show yesterday that both the past conservative and Labour governments were to blame for putting cladding on buildings.

Yes. This is the point I've been making.

Somehow a deeply flawed designs using inappropriate materials have been allowed to proliferate.

Follow the money and the trail is going to involve more that a few politicians on both sides is my feeling

Some people make a lot of money from council contracts,once again let's hope prosecutions follow.

What do we look at next,I suggest schools and hospitals.