Towering inferno in London

Some of the news here wont appear as headlines but proud to see Muslims showing what they really stand for.

Interesting comments on that link having a go at the paper for pushing the race angle.

"some of whom may have been Muslim people"

So basically you've built an article around pure speculation? Quality journalism that, you've got a big future ahead of you in the gutter press.

what about Christians waking up early to go jogging;

Budhists walking their dogs early

Hindus going for a morning stroll

Jews with insomnia

Atheists arriving from a night out

etc

Interesting comments on that link having a go at the paper for pushing the race angle.

People feel they have to push the race/religion angle as certain minority groups get abuse when a person from 'their' group does something wrong, so why shouldn't they get the credit when someone goes right? You can't have it both ways (not saying you specifically!)

So this company, witt uk group, decided to delete a web page...

http://wittukgroup.co.uk/grenfell-tower-london-w11-1tq-regeneration-project/

Good job it was archived

https://web.archive.org/web/20170614035707/http://wittukgroup.co.uk/grenfell-tower-london-w11-1tq-regeneration-project/

Understandable to be honest but ill-advised. They were contractors hired to install a smoke ventilation system so I highly doubt they are at fault in this, but people being what they are will point fingers and this company will get a lot of flak as a result. Any company in their situation would likely try to remove reference to it but the internet is a hard place to remove anything from permanently so this looks like whitewashing and an admission of guilt which will bite them harder than if they'd left the original page up with a header talking about the tragedy.

I heard on the BBC news, some chap from the residents association. He was saying how they'd sent no end of complaints to the council re: the safety of the building and the competence of the building management, along with a petition signed by 90% of residents asking for an investigation. He said, this was all rejected by the council, and he specifically named the council leader; also, he claimed representatives of the contractors had visited his home in person to intimidate him!

Just after the BBC interviewer finished with this residents association chap, she was interviewing the council leader (the very same person whom the previous interviewee had mentioned by name). I found it curious how the BBC reporter didn't raise the points made during her previous interview. For example, "had you received complaints, warnings and petitions from the residents association, if so, why did you reject them outright?".

Shocking that this kind of thing can happen.

EDIT: Link to the clip and story: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-40271723

Edited by Waldo
add link

Didn't the contractor say that they met all fire, safety, building regulations? If that's the case; are they implying that these regulations are not fit for purpose?

They're just covering their back sides.

Of course there will be a review of the regulations but that cannot happen before establishing whether the work that was carried out met the existing safeguards prescribed in law.

The cladding on the lower floors of the building appears to be intact so I'm sure it'll be dismantled with all the materials being sent off for analysis which will all form part of the investigation.

People feel they have to push the race/religion angle as certain minority groups get abuse when a person from 'their' group does something wrong, so why shouldn't they get the credit when someone goes right? You can't have it both ways (not saying you specifically!)

The only religious angle to this horror that's worth a light is to ask where was he? Busy working in mysterious ways again I suppose.

Absolutely horrific. Thoughts with those affected.

Ive had to stop reading about it, its just heartbreaking to read and tears me up thinking about the terror, the pain and the suffering people (yet to be found) mustve gone through.

Ive read of parents throwing children out 15 stories up, 1 woman dropping her baby from about floor 10 and a "hero" stepping forward to catch it, imagine that, one false move and it dies right in front of you, that would live in the mind forever.

People banging on windows screaming for help, including kids, and minutes later the last place they were was engulfed in flames.

I read stories that anybody above about floor 4 stood no chance of getting down the stairwells as they were in pitchblackness, full of thick smoke, and probably dead bodies youd fall over.

Really is a nightmare situation, hell on earth :(

It really has gone massively wrong and anybody found to be complicit needs shooting, literly shooting.

This is terrible. Sadly I expect RBKC Council to defend any litigation to the hilt and look for an opportunity to sell the site to developers for luxury apartments.