Towering inferno in London

Residents are saying that safety notices in the block told them to put a towel at the bottom of the door and stay put for an hour,that was how long they could expect to be safe for.

Plus,the residents association complained to the local council about the quality of work that was done during the refurbishment,but although the majority of the block signed a petition,the council refused to listen to their fears.

One guy even said that a contractor threatened him on his doorstep because he complained about the quality of the work done there.

Edited by chalga

I would have expected standards in this country to have been much higher. I can't believe something like this has happened in our supposedly safety conscious society. What the heck? Wouldn't the local authority safety inspectors be all over a high-rise building, choc-full of families? Sad to say, it's the kind of thing you almost expect in China or somewhere, but here?

It's just too awful. Beyond imagining.

I would have expected standards in this country to have been much higher. I can't believe something like this has happened in our supposedly safety conscious society. What the heck? Wouldn't the local authority safety inspectors be all over a high-rise building, choc-full of families? Sad to say, it's the kind of thing you almost expect in China or somewhere, but here?

It's just too awful. Beyond imagining.

If I presented you with a fire retardantancy certificate, you'd probably take it as read.

I don't in my albeit different line of work. I try and burn stuff. 99% of the time it's as described - but once it wasn't. I was given all sorts of flim flam afterwards but I only knew because I tested it. I've dealt with management companies too - it's a box ticking, arse covering exercise more often than not.

If I presented you with a fire retardantancy certificate, you'd probably take it as read.

I don't in my albeit different line of work. I try and burn stuff. 99% of the time it's as described - but once it wasn't. I was given all sorts of flim flam afterwards but I only knew because I tested it. I've dealt with management companies too - it's a box ticking, arse covering exercise more often than not.

We don't take it half as seriously as we ought to. High rises though - when it goes wrong, it goes REALLY wrong.

There's some comments from the architects responsible for the refurbishment here: https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/live/2017/jun/14/grenfell-tower-major-fire-london-apartment-block-white-city-latimer-road

Edited by Olive

Let us hope that our Sheffield high rise buildings that have been cladded are fire proof

I was thinking that too.

Unfortunately this is what happens when you wrap a building in combustible material for cosmetic purposes (assuming it was combustible).

Buildings are designed to contain fires from within, and spreading from within.

The minute you compromise the external envelope of a building with combustibles you've provided a new platform for fire to spread externally and universally.

I think [corporate manslaughter] is very much on the books.

Unfortunately this is what happens when you wrap a building in combustible material for cosmetic purposes (assuming it was combustible).

The minute you compromise the external envelope of a building with combustibles you've provided a new platform for fire to spread externally and universally.

My bold=

The insulation is used to meet Govt targets for Energy performance and is not done for cosmetic purposes.

If you don't meet minimum levels you can't rent out the property....

Building regulations require that the cladding be fire retardant.

Didn't the contractor say that they met all fire, safety, building regulations? If that's the case; are they implying that these regulations are not fit for purpose?

Devastating- I saw the intital news and it did not look good.

Have had some links from people helping out- good to see so many doing this and especially Muslims- who have opened mosques (as have Churches) to let people stay and recieve clothing/food and shelter.

Some of the news here wont appear as headlines but proud to see Muslims showing what they really stand for.

Muslims were among the first people on the scene as people were evacuated from Grenville Tower.

Andre Barroso, 33, told The Independent: "Muslims played a big part in getting a lot of people out.

"Most of the people I could see were Muslim. They have also been providing food and clothes."

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/london-fire-muslim-wake-early-ramadan-fast-grenfell-tower-resident-live-save-north-kensington-a7789111.html

It's a terrible disaster.

Anybody know how often buildings like that are subject to Fire Risk Assessments?

It just shows how appalling the 219 MPs who voted down a bill to make sure all housing was 'fit for human habitation' really are.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/tories-vote-down-law-requiring-landlords-make-their-homes-fit-for-human-habitation-a6809691.html

Low and behold, 72 of those MPs are registered landlords...