Towering inferno in London

We do not yet know how many people have died in Grenfell Tower, or how many have suffered appalling, life-changing injuries. We do know that there will be many who are experiencing overwhelming grief, and an endless horror at the manner in which their loved ones lost their lives.

However, we must not call this event a tragedy, not until we know whether it was a crime.

BBC reports have already made a shocking revelation in their online coverage:

Rydon [contractors] said it was "shocked to hear of the devastating fire" adding that the work "met all required building control, fire regulation and health & safety standards".

It later issued a new statement, removing the previous mention of the building meeting fire regulation standards, instead saying the project met "all required building regulations".

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-40272168

This horrifying event might expose the true impact of regulatory change and the actions of profit-seeking contractors on the lives and well-being of citizens here in the UK.

Not getting into any arguments with you. Like I said now is not the time.

You can discuss whatever you want but quite honesty this pre-emptive political defence is making me sick to the stomach. It's in extremely poor taste. Likewise for those trying to make political capital out of this.

Just my view, which I feel is respectful.

Slagging off the Tories and virtue signalling is respectful is it? You don't think I feel sickened by this absurd loss of life in modern Britain?

Who have I defended apart from saying I doubt it was a government minister of any flavour that signed off that building?

PM has just announced a full public inquiry into the disaster.

If you look up the relevant building regulation and the tests, it seems clear that compared to other countries we have much lower standards for external cladding.

I know its not exactly the same thing, but stage fabrics across europe have different codes and specifications - Im not sure (probably because Im not qualified to judge) which is better or worse. All come under the banner of flame retardant but are designed to meet different tests.

Is this the case for cladding as well?

Slagging off the Tories and virtue signalling is respectful is it? You don't think I feel sickened by this absurd loss of life in modern Britain?

Who have I defended apart from saying I doubt it was a government minister of any flavour that signed off that building?

I wasnt getting at you specifically, which is why I made my original post about this standalone.

If you have chosen to be paranoid and self-identify as somebody mounting a political defence then that isn't my problem.

PM has just announced a full public inquiry into the disaster.

She's also ordered a new carpet so anything that pinpoints the blame to the TMO can be swept under it. There will be no heads rolling, there will be no lessons learned. The block will be demolished.....and the land will be used for private development. My own view is that nothing short of a corporate manslaughter charge should come from this......but it won't.....will it.

I wasnt getting at you specifically, which is why I made my original post about this standalone.

If you have chosen to be paranoid and self-identify as somebody mounting a political defence then that isn't my problem.

If you don't want to bring politics into it don't make sweeping statements and then tell everyone else not to because it's disrespectful.

I'm neither paranoid nor mounting a defence of the government. I'm pointing out the hypocrisy in your post.

She's also ordered a new carpet so anything that pinpoints the blame to the TMO can be swept under it. There will be no heads rolling, there will be no lessons learned. The block will be demolished.....and the land will be used for private development. My own view is that nothing short of a corporate manslaughter charge should come from this......but it won't.....will it.

Thats more than likely what will happen, until the next disaster for us to learn lessons from occurs.

You know being charged doesn't mean guilty don't you? Only that the CPS think there is sufficient likelihood of the charged being found guilty?

Maybe before you inflict your cynicism on the forum you should gain a better understanding of our legal framework.

If you don't want to bring politics into it don't make sweeping statements and then tell everyone else not to because it's disrespectful.

I'm neither paranoid nor mounting a defence of the government. I'm pointing out the hypocrisy in your post.

I want politics to be kept out of it. That's the point.

My own view is that nothing short of a corporate manslaughter charge should come from this......but it won't.....will it.

A view that will be shared by others. The police have said the HSE are now involved so there is every opportunity for this to happen once an investigation has opened.

I want politics to be kept out of it. That's the point.

That's funny because you said the Tories will have a lot to answer for and then told everyone to shut up about politics.

You could have just said let's keep the politics out of it.

Hence my use of the word hypocrisy.