Beauchief Hotel soon be gone

The beauchief hotel is going to be demolished to make for 24 new dwellings . Twelve flats and twelve houses . What a shame it's such a lovely historic building .

Are they allowed to do that? If that is the case, it's a great shame, lovely old building.

Guest sibon

That isn't true.

The hotel is going to be converted into apartments and then there is going to be some new build in the grounds.

Something needs to be done with it as it is currrently a bit of a mess.

I agree its a top site and needs to be done to meet that standard

Well I am glad it isn't going to be demolished lovely building and grounds

Bet they wont be cheap though and with a major busy junction with queuing traffic most of the day and a railway behind hope the double glazing is good!

Well having lived within a mile or so from that junction for years its an area I avoid at all but very off peak times so spending more than a quarter of a million £ to live there is not something I would consider! but no doubt some will.

Would certainly recommend visiting the area at rush hour before signing the contract though!

But there are already flats on the opposite side of Abbey Lane, at the same junction, so obviously the traffic is not a major disincentive.

Guest sibon

I live a bit further up the road. The railway is no problem at all. I like the trains, they give a sense that people are going places. The road is a bit of a pain, but decent double glazing has sorted that out.

Some of the other attractions of the area make up for the negative impact of the busy road.

It's the perfect site for some new social housing :)

I currently live in the Beauchief hotel as part of a guardian scheme, similar to renting except we look after the place, its cheaper than renting and quite unique.

The main building is staying NOT being demolished, However they may as well demolish it as they are going to strip out all original features, fire places, ceilings, staircase everything except the four walls is going. Its a real shame. There are currently 4 very large marble fire places, lots of ceiling decorations and a very grand staircase among other original and quirky features which could easily be retained.

It seems the developers would rather strip it and put in lots of small box rooms and sell them as "luxury flats"... :/ it is criminal what they are going to do.

On the large car park to the side there will be new housing and the rear of the main building will be completely demolished (part of this section has double height room with a lovely Victorian skylight surrounded by original exposed beams - very impressive). a block of dull modern flats built with bridges joining to the original building will be built in its place.

All in all a massive shame when it could be sympathetically restored and divided up into flats following roughly the current floor plan. The building could do with a referb and the more modern extension at the back removing, however overall the property is in great condition, so there's no reason to destroy the interiors.

*also the current owners are a company called sheafbank investments Ltd - 5 men in suits came to look round the other day, probably to discuss how much money they will make out of gutting the place, i said hello and was completley ignored. Probably because im just one of the peasants who lives there. They all seemed up their own ****

Edited by drummer54as

I used to work there when I left school at the garden functions during the summer. Really nice building. It seems with no money people in Sheffield everything is just being cut up like Sheffield airport. Shame the chinese investors who want the city library for a hotel haven't had an interest.