Van life in sheffield

Seen a lot about parked up anyone else seen them:) seen them on youtube to

Please explain what you are talking about.

people living in there vans one out side jewsons

people living in there vans one out side jewsons

I've been reading about this, albeit the American perspective. I've spent 20 odd hours in a van on more than occasion and felt like screaming after about 8. Why anyone would want this as a lifestyle choice I don't know.

And how do they get insurance? They have no address!

And how do they get insurance? They have no address!

I would think organising insurance for their vehicles would be not be top of their agenda if having any at all?

I would think organising insurance for their vehicles would be not be top of their agenda if having any at all?

It would be when they get towed away for having no insurance!

It would be when they get towed away for having no insurance!

Which they wont as long as the van isnt parked on a public highway .

After the 2008 crash many Americans had their​ homes​ mortgage foreclosed and many made their cars or RVs their home. Still quite a few about sometimes in groups sad state of affairs.

Go around Page Hall, notice how many RO, SK, PL, BG plates there are on vehicles ... do you think they are insured, how would you check that? The fact that these vehicles can only stay in the country 6 months without being registered in the UK is immaterial, I would estimate that 90% of them are illegal, they are parked on the zig zags at crossings, bus lanes, double yellows at traffic lights etc, etc ... the police just don't bother. You just hope that one of them doesn't run into you. Just stick an eastern european plate on the vehicle and the police don't want to get involved ... would you, you'd be filling pointless paperwork in for ever more as nothing can be traced from these countries.

Can't imagine it being very warm to live in, in winter.

Can't imagine it being very warm to live in, in winter.

I have slept in caravans on work sites in the colder months. And to wake up with ice on the inside of the windows tells you how cold they can get. I imagine a van would be colder. Less insulation etc. Rather them than me. My old bones wouldn't take it.

When you say vans I assume actual vans from the posts. I have a Motorhome that I use fir work the odd time and I refer to that as sleeping in the van.

It's got air blown gas heating and is super toasty even in the depths of winter.

As for insurance on these foreign vans you see them stopped all the time on those police camera action type programs. I suspect it's just traffic cops doing the work though and they are mainly Motorway when I see them so maybe in the city some can skip by for a while.