Channel 4 HQ - Sheffield

Both Sheffield and Leeds aren't as well connected as Manchester and birmingham but Leeds is better than Sheffield. Both have a couple of universities and are served by the M1, both more or less the same distance to Manchester (ie media city). You could, COULD suggest Leeds is a tad more cosmopolitan but really the airport and hs2 are the key differences. I think a couple of C4 shows are produced in Leeds but would that swing it? Toss of coin maybe?

Leeds and Sheffield are incomparable. A tad more cosmopolitan??:hihi: Have you been lately?

I doubt HS2 had anything to do with it (years away and still not guaranteed to happen), and to fly say to london from leeds; by the time youve driven half hour to the airport, got on plane and flown to london, then from Heathrow into london centre its quicker by train.

Leeds and Sheffield are incomparable. A tad more cosmopolitan??:hihi: Have you been lately?

I doubt HS2 had anything to do with it (years away and still not guaranteed to happen), and to fly say to london from leeds; by the time youve driven half hour to the airport, got on plane and flown to london, then from Heathrow into london centre its quicker by train.

I haven't if I'm honest. It begs the question then why leeds got it and Sheffield didn't.

I haven't if I'm honest. It begs the question then why leeds got it and Sheffield didn't.

Because Leeds has a buzz & vibe that Sheffield doesnt have. The city centre/economy is bustling all day and well into the night. If I was the decision maker at C4 that is what I would want to be a part of. Sheffield centre dies a death after 5pm

Because Leeds has a buzz & vibe that Sheffield doesnt have. The city centre/economy is bustling all day and well into the night. If I was the decision maker at C4 that is what I would want to be a part of. Sheffield centre dies a death after 5pm

If a good night out on a week day was a priority surely Manchester or Birmingham (or even Bristol) would have got the job.

It would be nice if channel 4 told us!

I think there'll be all manner of factors & deals that would've swung the decision in favour of Leeds.

I think living in Sheffield and being so familiar with the city, it's easy to see all its faults; then compare it to somewhere like Leeds with its glitzy arcades and shopping centre. I've lived in Leeds, & it's not all the thriving, cosmopolitan playground for the young professional. A great deal of it, outside the enclaves of the North and West side of the city is very run down, and large parts of the city experience deep economic & social problems

its the SCC councils fault,this city is a complete mess and we need a change,they could use basset hounds and still get elected in some areas,insult to basset hounds really woff

I think there'll be all manner of factors & deals that would've swung the decision in favour of Leeds.

I think living in Sheffield and being so familiar with the city, it's easy to see all its faults; then compare it to somewhere like Leeds with its glitzy arcades and shopping centre. I've lived in Leeds, & it's not all the thriving, cosmopolitan playground for the young professional. A great deal of it, outside the enclaves of the North and West side of the city is very run down, and large parts of the city experience deep economic & social problems

Appreciate this. I worked in leeds for a few years. The buzzing city centre is largely surrounded by a lot of grot, and I would argue on the whole that the outer suburbs of Sheffield are nicer. I just meant to say that Leeds and its economy is forever moving from strength to strength, powering forwards and reinventing itself. Sheffield seems to more lurch along and claw its way up slowly with the general population moaning about change, and the council & its planners...well, just not doing a great job to help improve the situation.

Appreciate this. I worked in leeds for a few years. The buzzing city centre is largely surrounded by a lot of grot, and I would argue on the whole that the outer suburbs of Sheffield are nicer. I just meant to say that Leeds and its economy is forever moving from strength to strength, powering forwards and reinventing itself. Sheffield seems to more lurch along and claw its way up slowly with the general population moaning about change, and the council & its planners...well, just not doing a great job to help improve the situation.

I think while Leeds and Manchester reinvented themselves as financial and creative hubs after they deindustrialised, Sheffield traditionally reliant on coal and steel experienced painful change a bit later. I'm not excusing the council or its planners, I do think much of the thinking in official quarters has been pedestrian. Your right that the outskirts and suburbs of Sheffield, on the whole are much more pleasant than those of Leeds or Manchester. That many of the houses in those cities have grilles up against the doors and windows tells its own story.

There are some changes to the city centre that are successful - the Winter Gardens and Peace Gardens are two examples of how regeneration has worked well for the city.

I think before everyone runs in and wants Sheffield to be like another Leeds or Manchester, it's worth bearing in mind that a new report out suggests many city centres are experiencing a crisis largely because many familiar names are and have been going into administration. I appreciate that many want their city centres to be full of nice shops, cities are having to adapt and offer something a bit different.

I think while Leeds and Manchester reinvented themselves as financial and creative hubs after they deindustrialised, Sheffield traditionally reliant on coal and steel experienced painful change a bit later. I'm not excusing the council or its planners, I do think much of the thinking in official quarters has been pedestrian. Your right that the outskirts and suburbs of Sheffield, on the whole are much more pleasant than those of Leeds or Manchester. That many of the houses in those cities have grilles up against the doors and windows tells its own story.

There are some changes to the city centre that are successful - the Winter Gardens and Peace Gardens are two examples of how regeneration has worked well for the city.

I think before everyone runs in and wants Sheffield to be like another Leeds or Manchester, it's worth bearing in mind that a new report out suggests many city centres are experiencing a crisis largely because many familiar names are and have been going into administration. I appreciate that many want their city centres to be full of nice shops, cities are having to adapt and offer something a bit different.

Fair points. As much as I think SCC are fairly inept I'm not really sure how much you can hang on them over C4s decision - airport and hs2 aside. I'm not sure how a council can "force" a city or region to be more creative or attract creative industries - that's down to industry itself really. Maybe hi-spec manufacturing will be sheffields thing, and can really kick on with that. With a fair amount of empty units in the city centre, you've got more of a blank canvas. What SCC will allow investors to do remains to be seen.

Business needs transport infrastructure. That and a skilled workforce are the only two factors.

Do you really think a guest coming onto channel 4 news is going to fly into Manchester, then get the 60-90 minute chugger over to Sheffield, for the sake of a 5 minute interview? Or get the slow diesel train up from London and back - a 5 hour round trip?

Do you think that it's actually quicker to fly London to Leeds than it is to get the train? :hihi:

Do you think that it's actually quicker to fly London to Leeds than it is to get the train? :hihi:

No. But despite what Londoners think, 99.99% of the world don't start their journey from there.

---------- Post added 02-11-2018 at 09:30 ----------

I assume that Channel Four News will continue to use studio facilities in London for their daily news programme.

Even This Morning had to eventually relocate to London because they couldn't get guests to travel to Liverpool.

Liverpool has a similar lack of transport connections as Sheffield (though it does obviously have an airport).

In contrast BBC News and Sport works fine from the better connected Manchester. BBC Breakfast, Match of the Day etc. get their guests in fine.

In contrast BBC News and Sport works fine from the better connected Manchester. BBC Breakfast, Match of the Day etc. get their guests in fine.

Now I was going to say the opposite. Many of Breakfast's guests actually on the sofa are ones they can must up from the local area.

Anyone "bigger" and they're spoken to on a video link to the London studios.

BBC Breakfast will lose top guests after Salford move, warns its editor

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/tvandradio/bbc/8235080/BBC-Breakfast-will-lose-top-guests-after-Salford-move-warns-its-editor.html