Channel 4 HQ - Sheffield

it would be great for Sheffield,but I expect it will go elsewere.

Why so? Just as it's a bad idea to have only a few media-owners, it's a bad idea to have only a few media locations.

Example: London. See?

I said logical Jeffrey, not best.

At the end of the day companies tend to base where the bosses would most like to live so I can't see them choosing Sheffield over Manchester

At the end of the day companies tend to base where the bosses would most like to live so I can't see them choosing Sheffield over Manchester

But media companies tend to be based where their 'talent' (employees, esp. 'stars') want to be. Sheffield has a reasonably good hope of preference, surely?

Public sector companies tend to be relocated to areas that require investment (such as Manpower at Moorfoot). There is also the argument of decentralisation - moving everything to Salford Media City is just recentralisation.

The "northern power house" should be about more than Greater Manchester.

But media companies tend to be based where their 'talent' (employees, esp. 'stars') want to be. Sheffield has a reasonably good hope of preference, surely?[/quote

In which case London it is! They are probably just trying to get a rent reduction at their current location ;)

Guest busdriver1

Really, I think you will find that a deal breaker is the size of incentives on offer.

Article about Liverpool making a bid and many other possible locations mentioned. Sheffield not mentioned at all. Just another lame attempt by the powers that be at Sheffield City Council to attract or plan anything substantial?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-merseyside-40591447

Yet the fact that one bid was made does not in any way tell how many other bids were made.

Plus the bids aren't made to the BBC anyway. So isn't it all just idle speculation at present?