Cherry tree problem

can anyone help please . I bought a cheery tree sapling and planted it a few months ago . I have now noticed most of the leaves have holes in them as though something is eating them , I have checked the leaves and can find no sign of pests . the only thing I can think of is when I planted it I was a bit hit and miss with watering it ,could this be the cause? Grateful for any advice

Holes in leaves can be caused by shothole fungus I know it affects flowering cherry so I assume it's the same for yours.

Guest sibon

Hackey, are there any spots on the leaves? If so, you have shot hole. You can buy treatment for it, or leave it and hope that it goes away. Make sure that you clear up and dispose of any fallen leaves to help to shift the disease.

If the leaves aren't spotty, something could be eating them. Check for slugs or other buggy things.

thanks for the replies . after looking again ,I have seen a few but not plenty of either greenfly or green aphids . I have given the leaves a spray with a soapy water solution . is this adequate or should I buy some pest killer ?

thanks for the replies . after looking again ,I have seen a few but not plenty of either greenfly or green aphids . I have given the leaves a spray with a soapy water solution . is this adequate or should I buy some pest killer ?

Aphids / greenfly don't leave holes, they just suck the sap. The shothole fungus thingy sounds much more likely.

Where are the holes and what do they look like? In the middle of the leaves or at the edges? Are the bits around the holes green or are they in the middle of brown or white patches?

finally done a bit of looking up and its definitely shothole fungus ,thanks for pointing me in the right direction