Would like to sing (and play) again. Anyone?

Hi all. I used to enjoy participating in music sessions and folk and dance clubs but having had a run of ill-heath and some misfortune and reaching my seventies, things dried up a few years back. I really miss the chance to sing and play a little guitar and percussion. When I stopped was mostly into folk songs, ballads, Irish and a few shanties and found myself singing to squeeze-box accompaniment but I was thinking I'd like to branch out by trying singing jazz and standard dance ballads, maybe even fronting a band, just for fun. Would really love to begin again as was told I had a good singing voice but unfortunately I've lost a little lung capacity and with it lots of confidence. Not suggesting that I was as accomplished as most musicians I played along with but - hey music should bring folks together yes?

If anyone has similar interests to make some music or can maybe offer a little help, opportunity or suggestions, I'd be very grateful, otherwise it's back to the old rocking chair on the porch I guess!

Hi John, I am an intermediate guitar player and novice song writer and 67 years young. I doubt my musical ability is to your level but would welcome your involvement.

I am retired so can make anytime. Whereabouts are you.

Mick

Hi Mick and great to have your reply. I never was that good with guitar but was quite able to play a few songs and my singing got me through well enough. Sadly, I put the guitar away a while back so I'm betting you're much better than me now. It's a long story so I will pm you. Fingers crossed!

Hello, JohnLittle,

I'd be interested in something along the lines you've outlined. I'm sort of an intermediate, acoustic guitar player and done a bit of singing. I'm retired and free most of the time. Have you got somewhere to meet? I'd like to hear from you.

Hello Elwood

Thanks for message and I've sent you a pm.

Thinking of day or evening get togethers and sure we could find somewhere to suit everyone.

Sounds like a decent get together; good luck lads!

Thanks mancmart. Glad to say we're hopefully up and running so if anybody wants to join in the fun and music-making get in touch!

I am a keyboard player and alleged songwriter. I live in Barnsley. I have 2 keyboards, one of which is portable. I do not have transport right now but should do in the next few weeks as I am in the process of buying a car so may well be interested in your project then. I am the same age as one of the Beatles songs from Sgt Pepper - "When I'm..." yes 64.

Hi Orangecrab,

Thanks for your interest. Will send you a pm.

Hello John, I've only just seen your posting. I'm 62 and I'm an average guitar player. I can sing but I haven't played in a band for 30 years. It would be good to jam with other like minded fellers who don't take it too seriously. I live in Sheffield and have plenty of spare time. It would be good to hear from you. I don't know what you have in mind, but I would like to do some harmony stuff even if it's just jamming and having a laugh.

Hello Welshowl, thanks for posting. Three of us got together for a session last week, all acoustic guitarists.

What with the holiday season and other commitments, it's proving difficult to fix the next one and, if we grow in numbers, we will need to find a permanent venue. This is also the case if we expand with other instruments, which we would welcome. It's mostly folk- orientated at the moment.

We had an enjoyable session though and are looking to meet again from mid- July so if you're still interested suggest you send dates you're free (Friday afternoons​). Thanks

(Others interested, especially with a variety of suitable instruments, welcome to do the same)

Hi John, it looks like the best option will be Practice Sheffield (see their website.), it is £15 for three hours midweek. Shared between 3/4/5 people shouldn't be much. They are located in Neepsend so fairly central.

Mick