Bright Buses to finish

Yes i can understand that,what i don't understand is why someone with a supposedly successfull business would just close it down and put so many people out of work.Why not sell it.i feel there is something not right here.

Yes i can understand that,what i don't understand is why someone with a supposedly successfull business would just close it down and put so many people out of work.Why not sell it.i feel there is something not right here.

I saw it on Look North ,and the owner said he was doing it this way so he could pay his staff redundancy pay , rather than going into administration .

Bold, which term time?

Week beginning 12th of June.

Guest busdriver1

Put in simple terms, there is nothing to sell. The vehicles are virtually life expired so worthless. They dont conform to access requirements so need replacing with newer buses that would be easiest to source from the far east. The cost of purchase, transport and re-registration make that too expensive for the likely revenue to be gained.

At the end of the day the kids still need to get to school so I am sure there will be jobs for all the drivers and possibly more if smaller buses are used.

A successful business today is not always a successful business tomorrow, he realises that and is behaving decently to his staff and customers by giving plenty notice and offering good redundancy.

---------- Post added 02-06-2017 at 09:30 ----------

There is a line though to which H&S risk assessment really can't ever get right.

Is it safe for 25 people stood up? 50 people stood up?

It depends on the severity of the crash. If a truck ran into one, and 50 people died, there'd be 100 reports on how dangerous it was to have x number of people standing up - when in truth even if no one standing up, the similar number of reports would be on bad seat design, or bad bus design.

Something hitting one is probably the only chance of any serious impact as I don't think they're capable of more than about 5mph.

Accident and standing wise seems irrelevant anyway, they are probably more dangerous because if inside they get even 1% of what these things kick out behind, they're probably being poisoned :gag:

Physically these buses are stronger than anything made today as corners have to be cut to conform to access requirements, and loads more plastic is used in body construction these days. They are also rigorously tested to vastly higher standards than your car. (including emissions testing).

Physically these buses are stronger than anything made today as corners have to be cut to conform to access requirements, and loads more plastic is used in body construction these days. They are also rigorously tested to vastly higher standards than your car. (including emissions testing).

Having followed one of these buses I can only assume the tester turned a blind eye to the emissions bit...

They'll need to a replacement service for this. The normal buses can't just absorb all the school kids.

cannot understand his reluctance to sell the lot even at cost,if its as he says making a profit.

The buses are not saleable - they would cost more than they are worth to bring up to current regulations.

There used to be 2 bright bus services from dinnington comp school and one was replaced a few months ago by x5 dinnington to sheffield bus,which has to take a different route for the school service.In the past few weeks the bus has not arrived at least 6 times leaving about 40 children stranded at school.

Eee-by-gum, when I were a lad I used to walk to school and back.

Might help the looming obesity crisis If some of these kids got a bit more exercise.

When a qualified vehicle examiner posts a concise list of defects on these buses I will sit up and take notice. Until then I will consider them the biased ramblings of typical forumites who are quite happy to never let a lack of knowledge stop them having and spouting an "in depth analysis" that is beyond their ken.

These vehicles are not exempt from any of the rules and regulations applicable to any PCV class vehicle and are subject to much higher standards of maintenance and examination than any car.

It is a fact that a large percentage of the fleet needs replacing as it does not meet current and forthcoming accessibility regulations, no other factor is involved in their need for replacement.

The maintenance of these vehicles is far better than the standards on offer from SYPTE buses in the 70's and 80's, they WERE death traps as the traffic commissioners found when they visited and put some 200 off the road for severe maintenance issues. That has never happened at Bright Bus.

As a result of this the business is not really saleable as the investment in vehicles would render it too expensive.

Emissions - for every ONE of these buses at best we are looking at 2 buses to replace them or worst case 100 cars. THAT is the emissions crisis of these vehicles.

I assume these coaches have to be issued with a certificate of fitness every year.

Where some of the posters get their information from does not seem right to me.

Angel1.

---------- Post added 02-06-2017 at 18:17 ----------

Eee-by-gum, when I were a lad I used to walk to school and back.

Might help the looming obesity crisis If some of these kids got a bit more exercise.

Correct, some times we did walk (if we missed the bus) and sometimes we cycled as well. The good old times, well it was over 50 years ago.

Angel1.

Week beginning 12th of June.

OK, so we've established that it will still be running then...

so back to this question:

Hoping someone can help..

My son is going to be staying with his father for a week up Stannington during term time.

Despite my efforts of emailing and calling the company that runs the service, I still can't find answers I need.

Does anyone know where on stannington road the bus stops to take my son to school? He will be close to Howcrofts shop... Is there a pick up there?

Any info greatly appreciated.

Many thanks in advance..

see bold.

This has been merged into another thread now and your question has been lost.

Does anyone know the answer to the bold?