Bright Buses to finish

Guest busdriver1
Yet nobody has died- so maybe not, after all...

Totally ignoring the standing capacity of approx 25 when it helps in a rant.

Guest sibon
Yet nobody has died- so maybe not, after all...

The purpose of risk asssessment is to identify problems before they occur and then take action to mitigate them.

It is perfectly possible that the buses are death traps, even if they haven't killed anyone yet. Having seen them up close and personal for 15 years, I'd say that they are unfit for the 21st century and potentialy very dangerous indeed.

The purpose of risk asssessment is to identify problems before they occur and then take action to mitigate them.

There is a line though to which H&S risk assessment really can't ever get right.

Is it safe for 25 people stood up? 50 people stood up?

It depends on the severity of the crash. If a truck ran into one, and 50 people died, there'd be 100 reports on how dangerous it was to have x number of people standing up - when in truth even if no one standing up, the similar number of reports would be on bad seat design, or bad bus design.

Something hitting one is probably the only chance of any serious impact as I don't think they're capable of more than about 5mph.

It is perfectly possible that the buses are death traps, even if they haven't killed anyone yet. Having seen them up close and personal for 15 years, I'd say that they are unfit for the 21st century and potentialy very dangerous indeed.

Accident and standing wise seems irrelevant anyway, they are probably more dangerous because if inside they get even 1% of what these things kick out behind, they're probably being poisoned :gag:

Guest sibon
There is a line though to which H&S risk assessment really can't ever get right.

Is it safe for 25 people stood up? 50 people stood up?

It depends on the severity of the crash. If a truck ran into one, and 50 people died, there'd be 100 reports on how dangerous it was to have x number of people standing up - when in truth even if no one standing up, the similar number of reports would be on bad seat design, or bad bus design.

Something hitting one is probably the only chance of any serious impact as I don't think they're capable of more than about 5mph.

Accident and standing wise seems irrelevant anyway, they are probably more dangerous because if inside they get even 1% of what these things kick out behind, they're probably being poisoned :gag:

If you get behind one on Long Lane, you have about a 15 minute exposure to a variety of particulates, whilst it wends its way up the hill at below walking pace.

Add to that the condition of tyres, overcrowding and antiquated braking system and you've got an interesting mix.

If you get behind one on Long Lane, you have about a 15 minute exposure to a variety of particulates, whilst it wends its way up the hill at below walking pace.

Add to that the condition of tyres, overcrowding and antiquated braking system and you've got an interesting mix.

I wonder if that's why the guy isn't selling the business?

He seems to have got a lot of hassle for this decision and it's quite possibly unfair without knowing all the facts. Generally people who write on social media things are half-wits who just write an initial thought to a loaded or leading title, rather than know (or even think about) anything about the details. If the guy has enough money to live on, why would he sell them to another company if they did have any of alleged faults. I couldn't see the point.

-

As for my bus to school experiences. In secondary when too far to walk (or bothered), it was the 774 to school, with about 3 of us on it (or 81 ideally if it didn't turn up). But home was ideally the 82, then the 83>84>81.

The bus home was utter carnage especially for the 82.

The bus to school, with about 3 of us on was always a wreck that wouldn't pass an MoT in Syria now. I wonder if these kind of things go into risk assessments? :)

-

edit to add, any of the bus drivers from the 80's will now know which school I went to! :hihi:

Edited by *_ash_*
added

Guest busdriver1
I wonder if that's why the guy isn't selling the business?

He seems to have got a lot of hassle for this decision and it's quite possibly unfair without knowing all the facts. Generally people who write on social media things are half-wits who just write an initial thought to a loaded or leading title, rather than know (or even think about) anything about the details. If the guy has enough money to live on, why would he sell them to another company if they did have any of alleged faults. I couldn't see the point.

When a qualified vehicle examiner posts a concise list of defects on these buses I will sit up and take notice. Until then I will consider them the biased ramblings of typical forumites who are quite happy to never let a lack of knowledge stop them having and spouting an "in depth analysis" that is beyond their ken.

These vehicles are not exempt from any of the rules and regulations applicable to any PCV class vehicle and are subject to much higher standards of maintenance and examination than any car.

It is a fact that a large percentage of the fleet needs replacing as it does not meet current and forthcoming accessibility regulations, no other factor is involved in their need for replacement.

The maintenance of these vehicles is far better than the standards on offer from SYPTE buses in the 70's and 80's, they WERE death traps as the traffic commissioners found when they visited and put some 200 off the road for severe maintenance issues. That has never happened at Bright Bus.

As a result of this the business is not really saleable as the investment in vehicles would render it too expensive.

Emissions - for every ONE of these buses at best we are looking at 2 buses to replace them or worst case 100 cars. THAT is the emissions crisis of these vehicles.

Hoping someone can help..

My son is going to be staying with his father for a week up Stannington during term time.

Despite my efforts of emailing and calling the company that runs the service, I still can't find answers I need.

Does anyone know where on stannington road the bus stops to take my son to school? He will be close to Howcrofts shop... Is there a pick up there?

Any info greatly appreciated.

Many thanks in advance..

Someone told me a couple of weeks ago ( ie. rumour) that they'd gone out of business. Don't know if anyone else has taken it on

the brightbus finished on last day of term dnt know if any other has been sorted out for transport for the school children

Hoping someone can help..

My son is going to be staying with his father for a week up Stannington during term time.

Despite my efforts of emailing and calling the company that runs the service, I still can't find answers I need.

Does anyone know where on stannington road the bus stops to take my son to school? He will be close to Howcrofts shop... Is there a pick up there?

Any info greatly appreciated.

Many thanks in advance..

Bold, which term time?

the brightbus finished on last day of term dnt know if any other has been sorted out for transport for the school children

Reason for above question is that I thought they were running until the end of the school year. This past tense suggests it already finished.

I suspect there is one more as it's too early for summer hols

I live in north anston where bright bus is based and know someone who works there.They are continuing untill the end of term in july.

Guest busdriver1
I live in north anston where bright bus is based and know someone who works there.They are continuing untill the end of term in july.

As staff are understandably leaving as they find other jobs and no-one will take a job there with closure looming, they are finding it difficult to operate services. Some are, as a result being cancelled.

This is the point where the PTE should step in.

Dont hold your breath for that one.