Help puppy not walking with partner

we have a 12 week old cocker spaniel and she will not go out for walks with my partner she pulls back always so he comes back and its upsetting him and me .if i go shes fine any ideas

It sounds like everyone is becoming emotional about this which will inevitably make your dog anxious about the situation.

Firstly I would forget walks for now and have your partner bond with the pup via play (no rough play. Look at cocker games like retrieving, scenting), grooming (lots of brushing and combing in regular short sessions like five or ten minutes a day), and hand feeding.

Secondly I'd have your partner work on some useful commands inside the home, particularly recall. Hand full of delicious treats like cheese or hotdogs cut up into very small pieces in a bag or pocket not in visual range of the dog (ie the dog should respond to the voice command not sight of a treat), in your partner's lightest voice call the dog's name then chosen recall word (name is to get the dog to look at you not come back), then reward verbally when the dog comes back then reward with a treat. Carry on around the house and repeat. Cockers love to follow you around so use that to teach heel and try not to teach recall when being followed. You want your cocker to follow you around.

Once a good bond is established, try some short walks. If the pup isn't good on the lead yet, drive to a place she can be off lead once recall is good and practice recall outside to continue the training and bonding.

Finish training sessions on a positive, don't overdo them.

She probably feels more secure with you for whatever reason. Get him to spend time with her building up trust, feeding treats. At first he should sit outside on the pavement with her and offer fuss and chicken treats. The next day and using the above get her to go to the end of the street with him and again sit down and offer treats/fuss before going home.

Gradually build this up over a few days until she trusts him and wants to walk with him.

At this age she shouldn't really be walking more than 15-20 minutes anyway.

Hope this helps and enjoy your puppy x

O realise you've said she's 12 weeks, so she's only just going outside. It's very overwhelming for a pup. Instead of walking, have your partner carry the pup when going new places if she's willing.

I'd strongly recommend you go to some obedience classes by a positive reinforcement trainer. I think your expectations of your young pup may be a bit high. Let her get used to things in her own time. Don't force any handling if she isn't comfortable, let her come to you etc.