Quiz at the Rising Sun, Nethergreen

just come home from the most awful debacle of a pub quiz at the Rising Sun on Fulwood Road, S10. lately it's either someone over explaining everything with unnecessary blurb , though with a really clear voice, or like tonight a dreadful accent (sorry no offence but doesn't work for a quiz) and long long gaps between questions meaning it finished over half an hour later than usual . People might not have work the next day, but it just makes for a tedious night!

has anyone been to the quiz at the Rising Sun near Fulwood on Sunday night in the last few months ? it's an absolute joke, there have been at least 4 lads who have attempted to do it, one is semi decent, the others either can't get through a whole question without fluffing a word or more, they repeat things needlessly, and sometimes like tonight drag it out so long that people were losing the will to live. ok, don't go, you all say, but it's a great place, and their quiz is Sometimes half decent when they can get through the questions and finish at a reasonable time

Not been for a while, it used to have a good following. One of my locals and a firm favourite for decent beer, but can't say I have ever attenpted the quiz itself

I find that unless you are taking part in a pub quiz, it spoils a night out. On various evenings out with a pal, when we would natter and catch up, the atmosphere is spoiled by microphoned quizzes that stop any conversation.

Unless you go to the Lathkill, where the quizmaster circulates the room, asking each question to individual tables... if you see what I mean.

Strange thread. Post #2 was post #1 at around 10am this morning. Thread name has changed too. OP really does not like this quiz.

don't think it is the OP...... probably a mod merged the new thread with a previous one....

yes, i thought it would flag up my earlier comment before posting but evidently it didn't, i just wondered if anyone else had been to this particular pub and knew what i meant ,

as for someone mentioning the Lathkill (presumably near Woodthorpe?) the Fat Cat does that, there is no microphone so the guy has to walk round shouting the questions in every room .

as for not liking quizzes, i agree i've been to pubs before where if i'm not doing the quiz it's a real distraction. and if i am, people having a loud conversation nearby is distracting!

My favourite Rising Sun quiz was during the renovations that they carried out a couple of years ago. They managed to build a false wall in front of the speakers, thus rendering the questions almost totally inaudible. Took them almost half the quiz to realise.

In my experience most pub quizzes are won by people cheating on mobiles or very large groups.

oh well at least it seems no one who goes there or works there looks on here, i'm not commenting on the quiz itself e.g. the questions or if some annoying people cheat, i'm just pointing out the ridiculously poor way it's run

I find that unless you are taking part in a pub quiz, it spoils a night out. On various evenings out with a pal, when we would natter and catch up, the atmosphere is spoiled by microphoned quizzes that stop any conversation.

I totally agree. I had the misfortune to meet someone for a pint at the RS a while back without realising it was quiz night. Oh dear! It went on for what seemed like hours. A table of aging dullards nearby was a reminder of what might happen if your life really goes wrong. Two hours and they drank about a pint and a half between the 6 of them. When the free sarnies came out they were like gulls at the seaside.