Ideology - you are being misinformed!

We are supposed to live in a democracy, So how can a party like the conservatives hope to gain power when they only represent the interests of the richest ten per cent of the electorate? Well, essentially they deploy ideology. Using the mainstream media - the press, TV, and digital platforms - they saturate our lives with misinformation. The Sun, the Daily Mail and the Times, the BBC, ITN, Sky - none of them report 'news', they feverishly present biased information carefully edited to distort reality, or distract by means of celebrity and sensation. Thus we have the ridiculous vox-pops on Radio 4 news bulletins where ordinary people in Mansfield or Sunderland are heard proclaiming that they will vote tory. What possible congruence of interests can be discerned between a Mansfield family living in cramped conditions on a low income and the wealthy inhabitants of a stockbroker belt villa nestling beyond gravelled drives, extensive lawns, electric gates and high hedges.

Ordinary people are being duped by ideology – lies, propaganda, dressed up in tabloid form and thrust at us from every TV channel, every screen, every news bulletin, every advertisement, every newspaper. Unless ordinary people begin to appreciate this vast scandal, there is a real risk that the tories shall triumph on 8 June, and the last vestiges of the services we most of us depend upon will be wound up and discarded in the name of profit.

Remember, if you vote tory in June, you condemn every child in state school to an 8% cut in their funding, and that's just for starters. Those stockbroker belt inhabitants don't care because they send their children to independent schools.

You can expect hospitals and social care to be driven into failure and disintegration, but the rich will not be concerned because they will continue to enjoy private healthcare.

And don't be fooled by the 'politics of envy' mongers or the right-wing trolls writing below – they are also pedlars of ideology designed to distract, confuse or misinform.

Wake up, before it's too late!

I was starting to think that everyone was brain washed by the media this election is real nasty and very personal one. I do respect other people's views even if I don't agree with them recently I read the comments section of a online paper it made sad reading it was just full of hate and name calling. A good debate makes interesting reading believe it or not can be fun too.

We are supposed to live in a democracy, So how can a party like the conservatives hope to gain power when they only represent the interests of the richest ten per cent of the electorate? Well, essentially they deploy ideology. Using the mainstream media - the press, TV, and digital platforms - they saturate our lives with misinformation. The Sun, the Daily Mail and the Times, the BBC, ITN, Sky - none of them report 'news', they feverishly present biased information carefully edited to distort reality, or distract by means of celebrity and sensation. Thus we have the ridiculous vox-pops on Radio 4 news bulletins where ordinary people in Mansfield or Sunderland are heard proclaiming that they will vote tory. What possible congruence of interests can be discerned between a Mansfield family living in cramped conditions on a low income and the wealthy inhabitants of a stockbroker belt villa nestling beyond gravelled drives, extensive lawns, electric gates and high hedges.

Ordinary people are being duped by ideology – lies, propaganda, dressed up in tabloid form and thrust at us from every TV channel, every screen, every news bulletin, every advertisement, every newspaper. Unless ordinary people begin to appreciate this vast scandal, there is a real risk that the tories shall triumph on 8 June, and the last vestiges of the services we most of us depend upon will be wound up and discarded in the name of profit.

Remember, if you vote tory in June, you condemn every child in state school to an 8% cut in their funding, and that's just for starters. Those stockbroker belt inhabitants don't care because they send their children to independent schools.

You can expect hospitals and social care to be driven into failure and disintegration, but the rich will not be concerned because they will continue to enjoy private healthcare.

And don't be fooled by the 'politics of envy' mongers or the right-wing trolls writing below – they are also pedlars of ideology designed to distract, confuse or misinform.

Rubbish like this makes this "duped" person want to vote Tory!

In what respect do you think this is rubbish? It's actually rather well known, and becoming more so as people now have access to a wide range of different information via the internet, and are able to check and cross reference anything they find dubious for its validity.

This ability to gather your own information is such a threat to the elite that we now have a campaign against 'fake news' and various endeavours to censor the internet.

So again I ask you to put forward a reasoned argument rather than just your own opinion by backing it up with evidence.

In what respect do you think this is rubbish? It's actually rather well known, and becoming more so as people now have access to a wide range of different information via the internet, and are able to check and cross reference anything they find dubious for its validity.

This ability to gather your own information is such a threat to the elite that we now have a campaign against 'fake news' and various endeavours to censor the internet.

So again I ask you to put forward a reasoned argument rather than just your own opinion by backing it up with evidence.

Pot, meet mr kettle.

So anyone who isn't in the top 10% and doesn't vote corbyn is stupid and only doing it because they're being told to by the papers?

Blimey.

As a working man, Labour is no good for me, as I dont fancy paying another £60 a month in tax/NI like what happened in the late 1990's. There will be a massive hole in Labour's spending pledges and they will hit the easy targets. No thank you. :D

........sorry Anna! we are too far apart.I am sure we are both convinced that each are duped by our opposing political masters.Both parties are presenting "costed" pledges and manifestos in this election as usual, but as usual the perpetrators on all sides will be long gone into the "Lords" or other such comforts and not held to account for any failures on their watch.......and so it goes on! I have been here before and have a wardrobe of T/shirts........people have a much better carry on than I ever knew these days......yet people are being brainwashed into thinking they live in a land of poverty, austerity and people in cardboard boxes.......some do! like some people have fabulous wealth,but they are the few.

If Jeremy Corbyn is "for the many" then the many will have a chance to vote for him and oust the Tories,simple! democracy at work! and I will stand behind the winner and get on with life!

Edited by mossdog

If Jeremy Corbyn is "for the many" then the many will have a chance to vote for him and oust the Tories,simple! democracy at work! and I will stand behind the winner and get on with life!

Precisely my point. There is no democracy at work. The rich cannot afford to allow real informed democratic process. So there is an industry of lies and distraction dedicated to keeping people in the dark - it is an ideological programme specifically structured to muddy the waters - making sure that people have a hard job if they want to make sense of the political world.

The western world is in thrall to neoliberalism. But that is a word you will not see on the front page of a newspaper or hear used on the BBC news. It is a secret - the Sun isn't going to make the connection between tax avoidance and cuts to public services, Sky News won't outline the deregulation agenda in terms of the erosion of accountability.

We are being misinformed in order to prevent us from understanding our own interests, so that we fall for the ideological staples of tradition, queen and country and the distraction of Beyoncé or Gazza's latest intrigues, pop idol and strictly bake-off.

We need to wake up before our basic services are carved up for profit. It will be pay up or go without - or in ideological terms, freedom and choice. We only need to cast our eyes across the pond to see what the lack of public services looks like in the land of democracy, the USA, where the poor simply go without.

This bold is probably most obvious line in this post, but the rest is laced with all sorts of blatant logical fallacies and quite bizarre writing tbh. A few of you pop up at elections times. You should all buy yourselves a mirror.

Your enlightened PoV is probably what encourages many people to vote away from left-wing parties. You'll win over young ones with this type of talk, NHS staff, teachers, and a few lifelong anarchists, but not much else. I pointed this out when Miliband was campaigning.

I blame this, and you lot, for the country being stuck with your words of 'lack of democracy' and stuck with one party.

Ordinary people are being duped by ideology

:shocked:

Correction. It makes them think they have to vote for outcomes that are against their own self-interest.

God help people like you when the duped work it out.

---------- Post added 28-05-2017 at 22:16 ----------

As a working man, Labour is no good for me, as I dont fancy paying another £60 a month in tax/NI like what happened in the late 1990's. There will be a massive hole in Labour's spending pledges and they will hit the easy targets. No thank you. :D

Playing devils advocate, what if they want you to pay NI AND pay for a private health insurance policy for hundreds of quid a month.

Ask the blinkin question and don't be utterly docile: will the Tories privatise the NHS and how much will it cost me.

Ask. Or you could end up looking like and feeling like an idiot.

Note, they are banking on the useful idiots not asking these questions

Pot, meet mr kettle.

So anyone who isn't in the top 10% and doesn't vote corbyn is stupid and only doing it because they're being told to by the papers?

Blimey.

I've learned how it's done y'see. I've had some excellent teachers...

You'll win over young ones with this type of talk, NHS staff, teachers...

I hope so, along with everyone who has children or grandchildren at a state school, everyone who might need a hospital where NHS staff will be there to care for them in their hour of need.