Home Alone blues

I'm after some words of comfort to assuage my guilt everytime I leave my 18 month old cockapoo home alone. Let me set the scene -

I'll start by saying that I'm retired (which is when I got him) so he doesn't 'have to be left' very often - but regardless of how long it is he clearly hates it. He still follows me round the house from room to room, even if he was dozing he'll force himself up to follow me, and we gave up long ago trying to get him to sleep downstairs - so yes, he's a clingy dependent pooch. I went through all the recommended training steps for leaving him - building the time up VERY gradually, tiring him out first, always leaving a toy and chew etc etc - but I still can't pop out to the car without him barking at the door after me. I'm sure when we're gone for a longer period he sort of settles - but I'm also sure he doesn't sleep, or play with his toy or chew. When we return he goes and grabs the chew (untouched!), does a mad happy dance for a few minutes and then settles to chew it. I'm taking this to mean he hasn't been at all happy while we were out.

So, the thing is, do I have to accept this as being 'his life' and get on with my own? I want to be able to go out for a few hours, occasional shopping, play bridge, maybe learn golf, whatever - without always feeling bad about my dog being unhappy. I know he's not being hurt physically, but mentally? I almost regret getting him because I'm restricting my own activities so much in order to spend time with him. Am I mad?

Any advice appreciated.

No, you are not mad. We have dogs chiefly because we believe they will enhance our well-being but in some cases they detract from the enjoyment of our life and when that happens it is hard not to resent them. Leaving your dog for a few hours to go shopping should not be a problem for him. Personally, I feel that 4 hours is the maximum that a dog should be left alone.

We don't know why your dog is like this because we are not there so cannot see the dynamics of the situation. There are ways to stop the dog being so dependent on you but much depends on why the dog is like this in the first place. See a good (and qualified) canine behaviourist. It could be money well spent. If you do choose to go down this route it would be useful to have feedback.

Edited by ccit

It's separation anxiety I would start by stopping him following you room room to room and work from there,when it does come to going out do what you're doing with toys etc and try leaving him the radio on,you sound really informed and enthusiastic about him you will get there,he's still really young.

It's separation anxiety I would start by stopping him following you room room to room and work from there,when it does come to going out do what you're doing with toys etc and try leaving him the radio on,you sound really informed and enthusiastic about him you will get there,he's still really young.

Also don't make any fuss when you leave . And on returning try ignoring him for 5 mins ( I find this really hard ) but it seemed to work . We ended up getting our clingy pooch a companion which settled the problem (but obviously that's not for everyone) .