Moving Virginmedia email to a new computer

I am helping my partner to set up a new computer and am having problem with her email.

Her email account is a virginmedia.com one and it is being moved from an Apple computer (where she used Apple's own Mail application) to a Windows 10 machine using Outlook.

I set up her email on Outlook and it all works fine for new emails and I can see that many of the folders she used to organise her mail are still there - but some are now missing. (I haven't copied any files over from old Mac, just set up her email on the new computer).

I wondered if this was because some emails are stored on the Mac only and not still on the VM server, so I looked at her email through the web portal and am surprised to see that here, here emails are not sorted into folders at all.

Can anyone explain what is going on here and how to get her emails on Outlook exactly as they were on the Apple Mail program?

Thanks very much.

It sounds like as you say, Mail has been putting emails in folders but this does not carry over to the email account itself.

I've not done this, but it looks like you can export a mailbox from Apple's Mail app:

https://support.apple.com/kb/PH19174?locale=en_US

But it exports them in MBOX format, a format not supported by Outlook. You can convert them but there is no free option. Alternatively, you could install an alternative email client like Thunderbird which does support MBOX files.

It sounds like as you say, Mail has been putting emails in folders but this does not carry over to the email account itself.

I've not done this, but it looks like you can export a mailbox from Apple's Mail app:

https://support.apple.com/kb/PH19174?locale=en_US

But it exports them in MBOX format, a format not supported by Outlook. You can convert them but there is no free option. Alternatively, you could install an alternative email client like Thunderbird which does support MBOX files.

Yet another curse of closed source software! ;)