Sign in to follow this  

Sick canary - any advice

Help! My canary doesn't look very well. He has fluffed up feathers, probably diarrhoea, is panting and hasn't made a sound today. Can one take canaries to vets and can vets do anything with them, or do I just leave the poor little thing to decide whether he is going to fall off his perch? :help:

any ideas, anyone?

Just had a word with my mate and he says the bird is ill as it`s puffed up its feathers. A vet will see to it. Maybe give it antbiotics.

I took him to the vet this morning. He had an antibiotic jab but is still one very sick little bird. Tonight though, he is on his perch which is an improvement because late last night he went onto the floor of his cage and most of the day he has been falling over.

update on the canary - he died this morning at the vets:sad:

update on the canary - he died this morning at the vets:sad:

Sorry to hear about your canary parcher, hope ur ok? xx

Thanks for the concern. It is really quiet without him. To think only on Sunday, I was sitting at the computer with earplugs in!

I no what u mean. My nannan has got a cockatiel and he never shuts up!! x

sorry about the bird. My mate said it was sick

so sorry to hear about your pet bird. I have a budgie and have turned the sound down on the telly cos he is competing so much he is giving me a headache......

Since reading your post I have given him the sound back. I would really miss him if anything happened to him so I shall put up with the noise....

One final note on the subject of canaries.

As we hadn't had my canary very long, hubbie decided he would tackle the petshop. He said he would come back with another bird. I told him I wanted a male canary but would accept a couple of finches. He rang me at work to tell me he had a new bird and it was blue! :suspect:

I came home and there, sitting in the cage, was a ..........budgie! :huh:

Hubby was very pleased because he had got £6 back. I wasn't because I had to replace the cage with one suited to a big fat budgie and rush out for budgie seed and toys to amuse it!

My father suggested that I keep replaying the recording I have of my canary singing, in the hope that the budgie learns it. Failing that, he suggests I teach it to say "I am a canary"

Aw Parcher so sorry to hear about your little canary.

I like your father's suggestion of teaching him to say he's a canary :lol:

So sorry to hear about your little canary bird :(