I'm gutted! Advice needed on how to lose weight

Can someone please give me some advice on how to lose more weight. I'm not to keen on fruit or veg and do a little bit of exercise. I started weight watchers last week and i actually thought i had done very very well until i went back 2night and got weighed and discovered i had only lost 1 1/2 pound but my mum has lost 4 1/2. I was well cheesed off, i actually felt like crying!!:sad:

I have used my daily points allowance everyday, not going over or not having enough and i have eaten salads and ww food. When i spoke to my leader she sed i had done quite well although i had only lost 1 1/2. Can someone give me any advice/tips please!!! :help:

eat healthily, and exercise more. that is all you need to do.

Don't be disheartened, Its said that if you lose it slowly there's more chance of you keeping the weight down.:thumbsup:

If you haven't a lot of weight to lose - it will take longer. Stick with it for a while, but don't make yourself miserable!:)

If your mum has lost over 4 lb, there's a chance that she has actually lost some of that as water, and not as fat.

It isn't a race, and the only person who you are competing with is yourself.

Take into consideration which point in your own cycle you are at, as you may be retaining water (which adds to your 'weight') whilst your mum isn't.

Whilst joining a club may help you with motivation, don't pin too much emphasis on what the scales say. A friend of mine chose to do aerobics to lose weight, and was disheartened by the reading on the scales, though she had not accounted for her much improved shape and fitness - which came about from an increase in muscle, which weighs more than fat!!!

You are doing well - stick at it :thumbsup:

Any reputable diet would only expect you to lose 2 - 3 lb a week. So 1 1/2 lb is really not bad, and it's only the first week. Give yourself a chance! Once you get into the habit of your new eating plan, the weeks will tick by, as will the lbs. I know it seems plodding, and you want to see results, but rapid weight loss is futile. It goes straight back on. What you're doing now is getting into good habits, that should see the weight stay off in the long run. Don't lose hope!

As for your mother - I know this will sound rude but is she quite a bit larger? Higher initial weekly loss is normal in very large people. Or maybe she's been trying extra hard? She shouldn't expect to lose that much every week, and neither should you. You're doing fine. Keep going - it'll be worth it! Give it a few more weeks, at the very least.

You could try and find a type of exercise that is recreational as well as physically taxing - dancing, or cycling or walking for pleasure. If you find a physical activity you find fun rather than punishing you're more likely to keep it up. :thumbsup:

Any reputable diet would only expect you to lose 2 - 3 lb a week. So 1 1/2 lb is really not bad, and it's only the first week. Give yourself a chance! Once you get into the habit of your new eating plan, the weeks will tick by, as will the lbs. I know it seems plodding, and you want to see results, but rapid weight loss is futile. It goes straight back on. What you're doing now is getting into good habits, that should see the weight stay off in the long run. Don't lose hope!

As for your mother - I know this will sound rude but is she quite a bit larger? Higher initial weekly loss is normal in very large people. Or maybe she's been trying extra hard? She shouldn't expect to lose that much every week, and neither should you. You're doing fine. Keep going - it'll be worth it! Give it a few more weeks, at the very least.

You could try and find a type of exercise that is recreational as well as physically taxing - dancing, or cycling or walking for pleasure. If you find a physical activity you find fun rather than punishing you're more likely to keep it up. :thumbsup:

Thanks for the advice, its definately what i needed!! My mum is quite a large lady but after having 5 kids what do you expect!!! Although she is trying very hard i am to and its paying off for her, it aint for me. Not yet anyway!! I've recently bought the charlie brooks workout dvd but not tried it yet. Has anyone else tried it? what do you think x x

1 and 1/2 pounds is really good.At least it has come OFF and not been put ON. Go onto the weight watchers ite and on there message boards for some support.They are really good. For weight loss to stay off, you should only lose between 1-2 lbs a week anyway so your on target.

Keep your chin up and stick at it, it will be worth it in the end x

Yes, I have been waiting for a thread into which I could shoehorn this bit of advice..

Stay off the rice cakes! I've been trying to be healthy and was swimming four times a week, walking 10,000 steps a day and all that, only to find I had put weight on!

I have now come to the conclusion that this was all down to sodding rice cakes, which I thought were healthy. Apparently, it's a well known fact that they bloat you and sort of stick in your system. Ahem. Anyway, I was driving home after accumulating a few weeks' worth of these evil things and felt like a Foie Gras goose. Honestly, I felt like a beachball.

So, there are my words of wisdom. To lose weight, I would suggest getting a pedometer, they're such an incentive. Even if you just run a few laps of the office to get your step count up, that's a little bit of exercise you weren't doing previously.

have a look at the cambridge diet . i did abstenance for 100 days and lost 5 stone 8 them went on to maintenance . but thats just me. if you look at the site it does all kinds a different sorts of diet to suit each person

Michelle, 1.5lb is great.

Ive told you alittle about me before, i started with my sister. I lost little abouts to start and she lost bigger amounts.

3 months on and ive lost 31lb and she has lost 10lb.

Stick to it, each week is different. Start your new week with new mind to losing weight. Forget what you lost and start a fresh. Eat for the furture not for the past.

I went on a all inclusive 5 day holiday and eat and drink what ever i liked and lost 1lb. When i behave (like this week) I stay the same and sometimes gain. What im trying to say is week by week goes by and my weight can go up and down and i will not really know why. Looking at the bigger picture thats 31lb since the end of January.

As ive said before (in the pm sent) you can always pm me or email me if you want to chat. It helps to go through things with someone doing the same thing. I have a computerised tracker and points program if you want a copy.

Keep it up and keep me informed.

Amanda

Can someone please give me some advice on how to lose more weight. I'm not to keen on fruit or veg and do a little bit of exercise. I started weight watchers last week and i actually thought i had done very very well until i went back 2night and got weighed and discovered i had only lost 1 1/2 pound but my mum has lost 4 1/2. I was well cheesed off, i actually felt like crying!!:sad:

I have used my daily points allowance everyday, not going over or not having enough and i have eaten salads and ww food. When i spoke to my leader she sed i had done quite well although i had only lost 1 1/2. Can someone give me any advice/tips please!!! :help:

You've done REALLY well! 1 1/2 pounds is a sensible weight loss in a week and as previously said by others, you've more chance of keeping it off if you lose it at a steady rate.

I tried the GI diet and lost 2 stone. Found it pretty easy, and there's recipes in the book by Rick Gallop. If you're not keen on veg, try cooking them in a different way (eg: if you like chinese food, stir fry your veg in garlic, soy sauce & oyster sauce & eat them with wheat/rice noodles).

Hope that helps a little! KEEP IT UP! :)