Discrimination against mums?? Children in pubs

I have a four-month old baby and had arranged to meet a friend for a drink at the Springvale Tavern at 3pm. I had been there previously with the pushchair in the afternoon and there had been no problem. Today, however, the barman said that he wasn't licensed to have children in the pub. It's the first I hear about having to have a licence for children... We were told the same at the Hadfield. I would understand if it was in the evening but both pubs were practically empty at 3. Does anyone know about the legislation regarding pubs and children?

Its true, pubs do need a licence to have kids in.

Not sure about the times etc though.

its pretty simple, if they dont have a licence they cant have children on the premises at all. i was in the nursery tavern the other day and the bloke next to me had to leave after asking the barstaff to open a gate so he could take the pram round the back. he'd just payed for a round too.

Ooo... the joy of bratless pubs! :D (I'm sure your little cherub is perfect though Sylv :))

It's true what they say though. Pubs need a childrens certificate before brats, sorry, under 18's can be allowed in. Not totally up to speed since the licence changes though.

When the new license is applied for, the pub is asked if it intends to allow children on the premises or not (it was always discretionary).

If they say 'yes', a whole load of other questions have to be asked and checks made before a "Childrens' Certificate" is issued (see Tony's post).

If they say 'no', their license is issued without a Childrens' Certificate and they are not allowed to admit children. If they wish to admit children at a later date, they will have to re-apply for a variation to their license.

(I believe)

There ARE child friendly pubs in Sheffield tho...just might take a bit of researching!

i believe you can take kids in wetherspoons (specific family area) until 6pm (you might have to be eating tho), the stag on psalter lane is great for kids-you can take them anywhere in the pub (esp if the weather is nice, cos they've got a playground), Psalter Tavern is nice, the Lescar on sharrowvale rd lets kids in the beer garden...not that i'm an alky mum or anything!!

I have a four-month old baby and had arranged to meet a friend for a drink at the Springvale Tavern at 3pm. I had been there previously with the pushchair in the afternoon and there had been no problem. Today, however, the barman said that he wasn't licensed to have children in the pub. It's the first I hear about having to have a licence for children... We were told the same at the Hadfield. I would understand if it was in the evening but both pubs were practically empty at 3. Does anyone know about the legislation regarding pubs and children?

I know from experience that the Landlord of the Hadfield is a Muppet... I lost my wallet in there during a meet last year, I went back in to ask if it had been handed in, and he just kept banging on about there was absolutely NO chance it had been pinched because crime does NOT happen in HIS pub :loopy:

There ARE child friendly pubs in Sheffield tho...just might take a bit of researching!

i believe you can take kids in wetherspoons (specific family area) until 6pm (you might have to be eating tho), the stag on psalter lane is great for kids-you can take them anywhere in the pub (esp if the weather is nice, cos they've got a playground), Psalter Tavern is nice, the Lescar on sharrowvale rd lets kids in the beer garden...not that i'm an alky mum or anything!!

Bankers Draft in town has a family dining area as well :)

Why is this discrimination against mums? There is no law that says if you are a mum, or dad for that matter, that you can't go in a pub.

Why is this discrimination against mums? There is no law that says if you are a mum, or dad for that matter, that you can't go in a pub.

Absolutely - this is discrimination against a 4 month old baby in a pub. :)

:D Great answer :D

I think the question has been answered rather well above, so can I just ask...

How did you feel about kids/babies screaming/squawking/running round in pubs before you decided you wanted one?

Do you think that a bikers den/ale house/trendy wine bar is an appropriate venue for a small defenceless person? Or is it only certain premises you wish to take your child on?