Apple tree fungus remedy needed

I have a Ballerina apple tree which has a fungus growing on the trunk and branches, when the fungus is rubbed off, underneath is a red fluid or red sap which stains my fingers. Does anyone know what the problem could be and what is the cure.

I have visited a garden centre for advice and to buy treatment but they don't seem to know what it is.

All advice would be welcome.

I have a Ballerina apple tree which has a fungus growing on the trunk and branches, when the fungus is rubbed off, underneath is a red fluid or red sap which stains my fingers. Does anyone know what the problem could be and what is the cure.

I have visited a garden centre for advice and to buy treatment but they don't seem to know what it is.

All advice would be welcome.

Woolly aphid the red fluid is you squashing the aphids,

https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?PID=724

Edited by retep

Fungus grows on dead not healthy wood.

I wouldn't bother trying to cure it dispose of it and buy a new

one, they are not that dear.

If it's in a pot get rid of the soil and plant in a new pot.

I had what looked like cotton wool/soapsuds all over my apple trees when we moved in. Read an old fashioned gardening book which recommended rubbing it all over with methelated spirits, it worked a treat and in 13 yrs hasn't returned.