Julian Assange debacle

Presumably as the case in Sweden has been dropped he'll just be charged with failing to surrender to court.

7 minutes ago, whiteowl said:

Presumably as the case in Sweden has been dropped he'll just be charged with failing to surrender to court.

US documents released in November mistakenly revealed that there are charges against him pending in the US.  He will likely be extradited there.

The images of him being arrested this morning are extraordinary.  he is virtually bald and has a white beard.  He looks about 70.   For a moment I thought it was Gary Glitter being arrested again.

I'm glad this is starting to draw to a close. This cowardly narcissist has had far too many column inches spent on him already.

Yea he'll be arrested and the US will file for deportation promptly.

He'll get taken to the states and given several decades behind bars.

1 minute ago, tinfoilhat said:

I'm glad this is starting to draw to a close. This cowardly narcissist has had far too many column inches spent on him already.

Not to mention the many millions of pounds spent attempting to enforce the original arrest warrant.

23 minutes ago, geared said:

Not to mention the many millions of pounds spent attempting to enforce the original arrest warrant.

To be fair it was not Assange's fault that the Met Police spent so much money on an obviously political case.

The daughter of a friend of mine in Leeds was repeatedly beaten by her partner and after three years decided to make a statement about the assaults. The guy refused to come to the police station to be interviewed so a warrant was issued for his arrest. He was walking around Leeds for a whole year before being arrested driving a stolen car. The only attempts made to execute the warrant was to knock at his mother's door once a month for three months then they gave up.

39 minutes ago, geared said:

Yea he'll be arrested and the US will file for deportation promptly.

He'll get taken to the states and given several decades behind bars.

Many more years of court appearances to come.

It's been so long I can't recall which US laws he has broken (as a non-US citizen) or what any charges are, but I doubt any warrant several decades in prison so extradition could be a problem if that looks likely.

Edited by Magilla

9 minutes ago, Top Cats Hat said:

To be fair it was not Assange's fault that the Met Police spent so much money on an obviously political case.

Yes it was very clear political influence was used, they had officers stationed outside the place 24/7 for a very long time.

Money that could have been better spent elsewhere.

3 minutes ago, Magilla said:

It's been so long I can't recall which US laws he has broken (as a non-US citizen) or what any charges are,

Let's not forget that Howard Marks was a non-US citizen whose alleged offence took place outside US soil, yet he still ended up with a 25 year sentence.

About time he was arrested . He has taken mick for way too long. 

Feed him to the Yanks now. 

If he survives any assassination attempt, this could get very interesting. 

He has also been arrested under a US extradition warrant according to the BBC.