Julian Assange debacle

All Swedish charges against him have been dropped, but he can still be charged for not sticking to his bail conditions in this country.

From what I read on the BBC, it was because they had no realistic prospect of continuing the investigation. They said hey would continue if he was arrestable essentially. The alleged victim was not too happy.

There are time limits under Swedish law. Once the limit is passed, the prosecution cannot proceed, as far as I know.

was about

I believe the victim was enjoying consensual sex. The offence was about whether he was wearing a condom or not.

I believe the victim was asleep at the time.

---------- Post added 21-05-2017 at 16:18 ----------

Well yes, exactly. To be fair, the condom thing, (saying you'll wear one, and then not,) is an offence in some countries and can be classed as rape, but the sex was consensual. There is some doubt about the woman who complained - and that she was put up to it by an American federal agency.

Any other alledged rape victims you want to call liars Anna? Some of Janners perhaps? No?

That's a very very poor post from you, purely based on the view that assange is awesome.

Any other alledged rape victims you want to call liars Anna? Some of Janners perhaps? No?

That's a very very poor post from you, purely based on the view that assange is awesome.

ive got to agree with you

I think that's unfair.

This situation is completely different. It's not just my opinion. It's widely believed that extradition is the real reason behind the sex allegation. The case could have been heard in England, JA was more than willing to answer any charges, and lawyers said it would be perfectly legal to hear it here.

But no. The reason was to force JA to Sweden, where he could be extradited to the USA, and probably imprisoned for the next 30 years.

I've never heard it said that the victim was asleep.

I think that's unfair.

This situation is completely different. It's not just my opinion. It's widely believed that extradition is the real reason behind the sex allegation. The case could have been heard in England, JA was more than willing to answer any charges, and lawyers said it would be perfectly legal to hear it here.

But no. The reason was to force JA to Sweden, where he could be extradited to the USA, and probably imprisoned for the next 30 years.

I've never heard it said that the victim was asleep.

(a) Widely believed by whom ? How do they know ?

(b) How could he have been tried here ? Have you a link to said 'lawyers' who say it would have been legal to try it here? He is not a Uk citizen nor are the alleged complainants - we don't normally do what you suggest.

It is alleged the purpose of removing him to Sweden was thereby to enable the US to seek extradition.

I have little doubt if he were to reach Sweden the US would seek extradition - the Yanks claim he is the devil incarnate.

https://www.judiciary.gov.uk/judgments/julian-assange-v-swedish-prosecution-authority/

Edited by redfox

There are time limits under Swedish law. Once the limit is passed, the prosecution cannot proceed, as far as I know.

Yes, you are correct, 2020 in this case I believe.

---------- Post added 21-05-2017 at 21:39 ----------

If you want more details of the allegations see here:

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2010/dec/17/julian-assange-sweden

For what it's worth, I can see both sides.

On the one hand if he has done something he should face justice.

On the other hand, it would not be beyond belief for the US authorities to have cooked up the allegations to get him extradited.

It's a really difficult case. I think we should arrest him if he comes out and turn him over the Sweden. In the meantime bill them for the costs, but in reality, it's a fairly trivial sum in the scheme of things.

He is now complaining about the people who gave him refuge to escape justice.

Comments please....

Julian Assange is to launch legal action against the government of Ecuador, accusing it of violating his "fundamental rights and freedoms".

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-45915017

Begining of the end for him, they'll boot him out and the Americans will scoop him up and toss him in jail.

The guys a class A prat anyway though.

Breaking news:

Julian Assange has been arrested at the Ecuadorian embassy in London, where the WikiLeaks founder was granted refuge in 2012 while on bail in the UK over sexual assault allegations against him in Sweden.

At the time, Assange claimed that if he was extradited to Sweden he might be arrested by the US and face charges relating to WikiLeaks’s publication of hundreds of thousands of US diplomatic cables.

In a statement the Met police said: “The MPS had a duty to execute the warrant, on behalf of Westminster magistrates court, and was invited into the embassy by the ambassador, following the Ecuadorian government’s withdrawal of asylum.”

The home secretary, Sajid Javid, said: “Nearly seven years after entering the Ecuadorian embassy, I can confirm Julian Assange is now in police custody and rightly facing justice in the UK. I would like to thank Ecuador for its cooperation & @metpoliceuk for its professionalism. No one is above the law.”