How To Get A Council House - TV show

Just watched a program on Channel 4 about Hounslow housing office in london.

I have to say that if i was having any slight doubts on voting leave on Brexit then this program has made me more determined than ever to make sure we stop the free movement of people.

A romanian couple with 5 kids walked off the plane and into the council office an demanded somewhere to live.

No home, no money, no job, no schools....they had nothing.

2 weeks later they were given a 4 bedroom house all paid for by housing benefit.

This sort of thing infuriates me. :rant:

People say that these people contribute to society with taxes but they will never be able to pay back the money that will be needed to support them and their 5 kids.

Bring on Brexit. Stop free movement low skilled workers and free loaders.

Just seen the repeat of this programme.

The council sent them to Birmingham and found them private rented accomodation, because it was much cheaper there than in London.

If one of the parents don't find work after 3 months, they lose their benefits.

Do you personally know of any in employment?

/QUOTE]

Yes. As accountants, we do CIS Tax Returns for quite a few. The Romanian clients we have are mainly working in London, because that's where the construction industry is booming.

They have a very strong work ethic, work long hours, and contribute significant taxes.

Was it in Sheffield?

Did they get a nice house?

They were given a house in Brum, costing the taxpayer about £700 a month, if I remember correctly.

Good. Anyone else?

I ain't having a dig at Eastern Europeans, just curious.

My former neighbours were Romanian.

He worked at the Uni. She was a doctor. The kids were at uni.

Just watched a program on Channel 4 about Hounslow housing office in london.

I have to say that if i was having any slight doubts on voting leave on Brexit then this program has made me more determined than ever to make sure we stop the free movement of people.

A romanian couple with 5 kids walked off the plane and into the council office an demanded somewhere to live.

No home, no money, no job, no schools....they had nothing.

2 weeks later they were given a 4 bedroom house all paid for by housing benefit.

This sort of thing infuriates me. :rant:

People say that these people contribute to society with taxes but they will never be able to pay back the money that will be needed to support them and their 5 kids.

Bring on Brexit. Stop free movement low skilled workers and free loaders.

I've just watched this program, there was a white woman from Bermuda who was telling everyone she is more British than the black people that work in Hounslow council. She got off the plane with £4K, demanded a council flat because she was British. However, she did not qualify for housing as she voluntarily left her home in sunny Bermuda for a better life in the UK. After 10 months she had to return home.

I've noticed that folk 'bet' a lot on SF ;)

It's amazing what they think they know, mostly based on not doing any research at all, but perhaps watching a program on channel 4 or 5, or talking to someone down the pub.

After 10 months she had to return home.

err, return home to Bermuda, or return home to Hounslow ?

I'm sure one of our swivel-eyes loon Brexiters could put this white British white person up in their house for a bit? Just until this white British white person gets on her feet again :huh:

Just seen the repeat of this programme.

The council sent them to Birmingham and found them private rented accomodation, because it was much cheaper there than in London.

If one of the parents don't find work after 3 months, they lose their benefits.

That's correct. Any EU national has the right to enter the UK and they can claim Jobseekers Allowance for up to 91 days but cannot claim any Housing Benefit during this time. If they have not found genuine and effective employment after 91 days and do not have a genuine prospect of work then the JSA stops and they are deemed as having no right to reside and have no recourse to public funds. If they do find genuine and effective employment then they can qualify for housing benefit, but of course by this point they are contributing to the public finances, so fair enough.

That's correct. Any EU national has the right to enter the UK and they can claim Jobseekers Allowance for up to 91 days but cannot claim any Housing Benefit during this time. If they have not found genuine and effective employment after 91 days and do not have a genuine prospect of work then the JSA stops and they are deemed as having no right to reside and have no recourse to public funds. If they do find genuine and effective employment then they can qualify for housing benefit, but of course by this point they are contributing to the public finances, so fair enough.

Eh, so the council provide them with a 4 bedroom council house, and if they don't find work after 3 months they lose their council house. So who pays their council rent for 3 months whilst the parents are looking for work?

Eh, so the council provide them with a 4 bedroom council house, and if they don't find work after 3 months they lose their council house. So who pays their council rent for 3 months whilst the parents are looking for work?

Councils don't provide housing for newly arrived EU migrants on JSA. They are not entitled to housing assistance under the Housing Act 1996

Edited by Bob Arctor

On Gleadless Valley there's quite a few Burmese? some over 65, none of them work but they all have the modern accessories phones, iPads etc so just how much in benefits do they get? I know that there's more people living in some of the council properties than is allowed. The same goes for all the other middle eastern and African immigrants living on the estate. I have worked over 50 years to gain a bus pass but some of these get one because they can't speak English unitil it suits them.

On Gleadless Valley there's quite a few Burmese? some over 65, none of them work but they all have the modern accessories phones, iPads etc so just how much in benefits do they get? I know that there's more people living in some of the council properties than is allowed. The same goes for all the other middle eastern and African immigrants living on the estate. I have worked over 50 years to gain a bus pass but some of these get one because they can't speak English unitil it suits them.

So you've personally established that all the refugees and migrants on your estate are not working and have iPads? And you also think not speaking English is a route to getting a bus pass. You're either unwittingly very wrong or a liar.