Alive after Five. City Centre evening events

I've seen, and been involved in, a few discussions recently asking why more isn't done to encourage people into town in the evening. Here is a link to the council's attempt to do that. 1-8 June.

http://stylesheffield.com/programme/

Edited by philyyy

It's not the Council it's Sheffield BID that are running the initiative.

Someone is doing something.

Sheffield needs a bit more joined up thinking with regards the City Centre economy in the evening.

Most shops shut at around 5:30pm. Therefore if I want to get some new clothes or whatever after work I jump on a tram to Meadowhall, where the shops stay open late.

There aren't really any cafes open at night either - just fast food takeaways, pubs and restaurants.

Its very much a jekyl and Hyde City Centre - shopping, galleries etc during the day; pubs, clubs, theatre, music etc in the evening - very little crossover.

It was also noticable that when there was a shopping after 5 initiative one day a week in the run up to Christmas there was a lack of singing from the same hymn sheet from retailers. Some opened on the advertised day of the week, some like John Lewis were arrogant and chose a different day and some didn't bother at all.

Sheffield needs a bit more joined up thinking with regards the City Centre economy in the evening.

Most shops shut at around 5:30pm. Therefore if I want to get some new clothes or whatever after work I jump on a tram to Meadowhall, where the shops stay open late.

There aren't really any cafes open at night either - just fast food takeaways, pubs and restaurants.

Its very much a jekyl and Hyde City Centre - shopping, galleries etc during the day; pubs, clubs, theatre, music etc in the evening - very little crossover.

It was also noticable that when there was a shopping after 5 initiative one day a week in the run up to Christmas there was a lack of singing from the same hymn sheet from retailers. Some opened on the advertised day of the week, some like John Lewis were arrogant and chose a different day and some didn't bother at all.

John Lewis have always opened late on Wednesdays, when nothing else was open late. Why would they change for just a few weeks in the run up to Christmas? Maybe a more sensible approach would be to pick Wednesday as the late opening night, to fall in line with the existing arrangements of the city centres best shop.

Edited by Bargepole23

Some towns just aren't the type to stay open in the evenings. It works for Leeds, Liverpool, Manchester and Birmingham.

But its wrong to think Sheffield is one of the big players any more, its more like Bolton or Barnsley, in that it closes its doors around 5 (although I've been turfed out of a shop in Sheffield at 4.30 so they could clean and hoover up so they could be out of the door at 5).

Blame the organisers why pick Thursday when Wednesday as always been the traditional late night in Sheffield

There's quite a few i'm interested in. It's a shame it's only over a week.

Blame the organisers why pick Thursday when Wednesday as always been the traditional late night in Sheffield

Because things change. When I lived in Woodhouse Wednesday was always half day closing so not sure it was ever sity wide.

I had my ticket booked for the one on last friday. But couldn't go due to PMS. And they I read somewhere on Saturday that I missed out on a goodie bag.:(