Who's at fault here in this car crash

Who was at fault for this crash?  

213 members have voted

1. 1. Who was at fault for this crash?

• White car
    • Black car
    • Other answer

Looking at the old picture you drew, traffic on the roundabout (red line) has the right of way, so blue line shouldn't join whilst red line is indicating for the next exit.

That's how roundabouts work.

is there any advanced motorist on here

The black car is in the wrong lane but seems to realize and turns quite slowly. Where the white cars is partly to blame is the fact it comes from well behind to run into the side of the black car. The white car had the opportunity to see what was happening and take avoiding action.

60% black car 40% white car.

Although the white car is travelling faster than the black car, they are both alongside one another when the black car moves over. Although it is good practise to anticipate other drivers making mistakes or driving dangerously, it is not a requirement of law to do so. The facts are that the white car stayed in the correct lane and the black car did not, I don't think there's any percentages of blame to be allocated (at least from a legal standpoint).

if i can elaborate, if a car coming from Shepcote lane in the middle lane he is in his rights to turn onto M1N in that lane. if there is a car coming from Sheffield Road a couple of yards behind him and wants to go straight on to Rotherham?

if i can elaborate, if a car coming from Shepcote lane in the middle lane he is in his rights to turn onto M1N in that lane. if there is a car coming from Sheffield Road a couple of yards behind him and wants to go straight on to Rotherham?

Then the second car should have no problem, as you said he is behind the first car. If both drivers are driving safely/correctly, the car in front will have indicated in due time (before the Sheffield rd entrance) and the car behind (entering from Sheffield rd) will have seen this before he even sets off.

---------- Post added 21-05-2017 at 13:18 ----------

To be fair, the white car should not really be in the left lane to exit from the second exit no matter what the lane markings say. Basic common sense.

And here is the basis of my point WP.

Common sense isn't always prevalent in drivers, but people who are on the road for their job MAY have a bit more idea of road layouts and junctions than occasional drivers/ 9-5 office workers.

I find it a little worrying that some people think their version of common sense supersedes actual lane markings :o

Edited by RootsBooster

But it's traffic light controlled, so the car coming from Sheffield Road shouldn't be joining in the melee until the car from Shepcote lane has passed his entrance.

---------- Post added 21-05-2017 at 13:24 ----------

ha found it already!

Look at this picture here... it's almost exactly the same issue that was on Meadowhead roundabout...

LINK

All the pictures are in this post here

:shocked: blimey that post is 10 years old! :hihi:

But the difference is, that on the Tinsley incident, the entrances are all traffic light controlled, which should obviate the issue.

I don't think any car was in the wrong lane as both were following the flow of the road. The white car then swerved out of its lane into the path of the car occupying it, giving them no time to react. Its clearly the fault of the white car. If you are unsure, follow the lines between the cars and you will see the white car crosses into the path of the black car.

If anyone is still unsure, just look at these two images.

http://imgur.com/a/mLzqa

The white car breaks heavily and swerves into the black car. From an insurance point of view, its the fault of the white car.

You mean like this (from the actual video)....

http://imgur.com/a/5wzD8

Your photo shows the black car's lane marked for M1S, so why does he try to go over toward M1N on the roundabout?

Edited by RootsBooster

is there any advanced motorist on here

Waves.

But since I dont support the side people want they then decide to ignore me.

Then the second car should have no problem, as you said he is behind the first car. If both drivers are driving safely/correctly, the car in front will have indicated in due time (before the Sheffield rd entrance) and the car behind (entering from Sheffield rd) will have seen this before he even sets off.

---------- Post added 21-05-2017 at 13:18 ----------

I find it a little worrying that some people think their version of common sense supersedes actual lane markings :o

having just put my thinking cap back on, i agree entirely with ash, The lights would stop all that and the road markings are correct.

Edited by kidley

having just put my thinking cap back on, i agree entirely with ash, The lights would stop all that and the road markings are correct.

Sort of correct, I think it could be improved by longer breaks between the white lines, with the guide hashes obliquely crossing them, as per the previous junction I mentioned.

As Obelix mentioned earlier, the lights aren't always working. In which case there still shouldn't be a problem.

Sort of correct, I think it could be improved by longer breaks between the white lines, with the guide hashes obliquely crossing them, as per the previous junction I mentioned.

Or indeed like this roundabout on the other side of Tinsley viaduct. Why the lane markings differ so much on one roundabout is beyond me