Who's at fault here in this car crash

Who was at fault for this crash?  

213 members have voted

1. 1. Who was at fault for this crash?

• White car
    • Black car
    • Other answer

if you look at the video more closely, the black car drives into the white car.

if they both keep there lanes no bump.

Was that quoted at anyone kidley?

Was that quoted at anyone kidley?

yes it was posted to a post directly above mine saying, it was the white car that crossed the line and turned into the black car. i think it may have been a post by dipper but it has been deleted.

yes it was posted to a post directly above mine saying, it was the white car that crossed the line and turned into the black car. i think it may have been a post by dipper but it has been deleted.

oh ok. ta

edit: just checking the poll and realised I haven't voted yet :hihi: It's currently 61black 60white. I hope none of the 60 don't work for my car insurance company :hihi:

Edited by *_ash_*

I don't see why people are having such difficulty with this.

There are 3 lanes marked at the entry to the roundabout and there are 3 lanes going under the viaduct with corresponding destinations. As you would expect given the road markings on the entry to the roundabout.

The markings in between the entry point and the point where you go under the viaduct are for the benefit of vehicles arriving from Shepcote lane and beyond.

All 3 lanes at this entry point have the right to go under the viaduct - including the lane the white car was in and remained in.

The black car begins in a lane for the Bawtry/M1S exit and ends in a lane for the Rotherham exit.

The white car begins in a lane for the Rotherham exit and ends in a lane for the Rotherham exit.

Why is it so difficult for some people to see how this accident occurred and that blame lies entirely with the driver of the black car?

The black car is at fault.

The results of the poll are terrifying.

I've been away from SF (and the recreational part of the internet) for several months, it's a little worrying and slightly saddening that so many people seem to have missed the clear lane markings and are blaming the white car.

Regardless of how vague or confusing the roundabout dashed lines may be, the lane markings prior to entry clearly show that the white car can turn left or stay in lane to continue forward, while the black car's lane clearly shows that it can only go straight ahead (stay in 2nd lane).

I've been away from SF (and the recreational part of the internet) for several months, it's a little worrying and slightly saddening that so many people seem to have missed the clear lane markings and are blaming the white car.

Regardless of how vague or confusing the roundabout dashed lines may be, the lane markings prior to entry clearly show that the white car can turn left or stay in lane to continue forward, while the black car's lane clearly shows that it can only go straight ahead (stay in 2nd lane).

Agreed - what's odd is that those markings on the roundabout aren't just confusing, they're completely contradictory to the road markings on the approach. They definitely indicate that the left hand lane is designed for turning left only and not for going straight ahead.

Before 2012 the road markings on the roundabout were different, and did indicate that the left hand lane allowed the driver to go straight ahead. On that basis I think it was an intentional change in 2012 and somehow the road markings on the approach have never been updated to reflect this.

I think there's shared blame, the white car was correct to follow the road markings on the approach but should have also seen the road markings on the roundabout were different and followed the lane as directed on the roundabout. The black car made the opposite (perhaps worse) mistake in following the roundabout markings but not placing themselves in the correct lane on the approach.

Everyone going on about the lane markings are simply acting like sheep, followers. The white car should have and could have easily anticipated the black car was going under the viaduct.

Right the way from learning to drive upto professional drivers, defensive driving is taught not attacking, not banzai moves at speed. People all acting like theyve never been in the wrong lane give over. Just because the black car was doesnt mean the white car wasnt in control of the situation and could have avoided it.

There's nothing wrong with the road markings. Thousands of cars traverse the roundabout correctly everyday without incident. The markings people are referring to are for the benefit of people entering the roundabout at a previous junction where both left and centre lanes can access the viaduct.

Anyone who wants to apportion any blame to the driver of the white car is entitled to their wrong opinion - just avoid using that roundabout eh?

No, I think probably someone has pointed this out earlier, but I've not read it :hihi:

I can see what you are looking at here. The black car would have been in the correct lane if coming around the roundabout, but they didn't.

This what I was saying in the earlier post to you, that the traffic lights separate this particular flow of traffic.

---------- Post added 19-05-2017 at 22:52 ----------

There's nothing wrong with the road markings. Thousands of cars traverse the roundabout correctly everyday without incident. The markings people are referring to are for the benefit of people entering the roundabout at a previous junction where both left and centre lanes can access the viaduct.

There is. In the approach. It is crap.

When leaving Sainsbury's south roundabout there are 2 lanes.

Do you think I'm in the wrong if I predict that the right lane is ok for Bawtry road? (3rd exit)

The first time we see a road marking (if not covered in standing traffic) is just before the left lane splits into two (there aren't any signs on the side to say what lane goes where at any point).

-

I think that's reasonable assumption since this would match most roundabout approaches.

Who on here who lives in Sheffield will be honest (apart from reg users of it) knew before this thread that of the 2 lanes, you need to be in the left of the two, to exit any of the first 4 exits, but the right lane just M1S (exit 4) or further around?

Edited by *_ash_*
typos and clarity

There is. In the approach.

When leaving Sainsbury south roudabout there are 2 lanes.

Do you think I'm in the wrong if I predict that the right lane is for Bawtry road? (3rd exit)

The first time we see a road marking is just before the left lane splits into two (there aren't any signs on the side to say what lane goes where at any point).

-

I think that's reasonable assumption since this would match most roundabout approaches.

Who on here who lives in Sheffield (apart from reg users of it) knew before this thread that of the 2 lanes, the left one you can exit any of the first 4 exits, but the right lane just M1S (exit 4) or further around?

I was referring on the markings on the roundabout itself, which is the ones most people seem to be taking issue with and why people are suggesting that the white car should have turned onto the viaduct. I will concede that you have a 50/50 on Bawtry road until 50 yards before the entrance to the roundabout.

It doesn't really affect the incident in question, but even so, if you get the 50/50 wrong you are in the inside lane and have the option of going all the way around the roundabout or following normal safety process for changing lane on the roundabout. Yes, it's poor but it shouldn't be an accident causer.