Who's at fault here in this car crash

Who was at fault for this crash?  

213 members have voted

1. 1. Who was at fault for this crash?

• White car
    • Black car
    • Other answer

Where is Planner1?

Maybe he can shed some light on the issue?

BOTH cars should have been aware of each other and the rather low impact crash could have been prevented. However black car's fault as road markings show white car was in correct lane on approach.

Can you point this person out?

see Post #94

......black car's fault as road markings show white car was in correct lane on approach.

Can Mr Black Car be expected to know that? He was probably concentrating on the lane he was in and the white car crossed into it and so I don't think he can be held wholly responsible.

I would apportion blame as:

Road Markings 40%

Black Car 50%

White Car 10% (he should have been aware of black car)

Black car is in wrong! Everyone quoting Google maps / street view must remember these are not up to date pictures and so the info in these may no longer be correct which is the case here. A quick check i get one picture which shows both lanes turn left a bit further forward and is shows the current layout. What should be taken is what is shown in tbe video

:) well done Ash :D you wasn't expecting many replies but got 20 pages :o

I reckon we should all get there about 17:00 today and discuss it while looking at the actual markings :D

If I end up there on my own I'll not be happy and end up getting run over by someone in the wrong lane :help:

I'm there now, driving around it with my blindfold on, just like everyone else seems to do.

This thread is fun.

The arrows in the left lane say left or straight on. After that, there's never a break in the lane markings before the collision, so cars (like the white) obeying the arrows will *always* have cross those lane markings, 'changing lanes and causing the accident' according to those blaming white.

An instructive point in the video that no-one has mentioned: if you pause it after the cars have made contact, there's a brief break in the lane markings towards the bridge. So rather than keeping in it's lane, I would say the dark car has mistakenly hugged the lane markings to it's left instead of staying on the right towards the middle lane (which it previously chose), where the lane markings resume beneath the bridge.

Looking at the footage I believe the dark car was trying to turn left, but I can't prove that, and it's not really relevant. His middle lane opens up with the disappearance of the lane division markings to his right but he hugs that dividing line peeling off to the left, leaving the white car blocked and panicking.

I'm worried that I share the roads with some of you.

The videos posted earlier show the roundabout being used correctly from both vehicles perspectives.

The white car starts in the lane marked for Rotherham and has a collision in the lane marked for Rotherham.

Meanwhile, the black car starts in a lane marked for M1S / Bawtry and has a collision in a lane marked for Rotherham.

You need to overlook the lanes guiding traffic from prior junctions off of the roundabout and realise that the three lanes under the viaduct are a continuation of the lanes where the vehicles entered the roundabout and are marked as such.

I'm worried that I share the roads with some of you.

The videos posted earlier show the roundabout being used correctly from both vehicles perspectives.

The white car starts in the lane marked for Rotherham and has a collision in the lane marked for Rotherham.

Meanwhile, the black car starts in a lane marked for M1S / Bawtry and has a collision in a lane marked for Rotherham.

You need to overlook the lanes guiding traffic from prior junctions off of the roundabout and realise that the three lanes under the viaduct are a continuation of the lanes where the vehicles entered the roundabout and are marked as such.

This ^^^. Exactly this.