Who's at fault here in this car crash

Who was at fault for this crash?  

213 members have voted

1. 1. Who was at fault for this crash?

• White car
    • Black car
    • Other answer

Personally if I'd entered a roundabout from a lane indicated M1S/Bawtry and I wanted to go to the M1N, I'd certainly be looking.

But that's not the question that was posted. Blue day stated that the driver who changed lane should look. The driver in the white car changed lanes (as indicated by the lane markings) therefore he/she should look whether or not the earlier road sign said this lane can go straight. They are crossing a lane boundary regardless of the earlier sign so should look to ensure the lane they are moving into is clear.

But that's not the question that was posted. Blue day stated that the driver who changed lane should look. The driver in the white car changed lanes (as indicated by the lane markings) therefore he/she should look whether or not the earlier road sign said this lane can go straight. They are crossing a lane boundary regardless of the earlier sign so should look to ensure the lane they are moving into is clear.

The Audi should not have turned from the middle lane(M1S/Bawtry) to go towards the M1N without making sure it was clear, as it approached the roundabout in the wrong lane (if the destination was M1N) The road clearly marked that the M1N was the left lane only. The Audi should have also been aware that the left lane allowed for vehicles going straight on to R'Ham.

Anyway here are a couple of videos of the routes taken today:

White Car: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BwF_jDJj-V5MRVJLdHJBNkM4SUk

Black Car: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BwF_jDJj-V5MemRVR0ZuZXkweEk

Watch both and then decide if what the Black Car did was a good idea or not!

Aw, I was hoping for some dramatic music and a Danny Dire voice over :hihi:

Only one of those cars changed lanes.

we can safely discount any information given earlier as info at the moment takes priority.

the black car does not cross a white line. the white one does.

It changes lanes without looking to see if the lane it is entering is clear.

The white car is in the correct lane for going straight on. The black car was in the wrong lane for going left, it should have also gone straight on, or right.

If you look at the 2nd set of lane markings, the white car can turn left or go straight on. The black car SHOULD be heading for the M1 south! I know the lane markings on Tinsley roundabout are to the usual appalling standard associated with Sheffield City Council, as they seem to have forgotten Bawtry Rd altogether, but without doubt the black car is at fault

If you look at the 2nd set of lane markings, the white car can turn left or go straight on. The black car SHOULD be heading for the M1 south! I know the lane markings on Tinsley roundabout are to the usual appalling standard associated with Sheffield City Council, as they seem to have forgotten Bawtry Rd altogether, but without doubt the black car is at fault

Absolutely agree,the markings on the road confirm that the black car is in the wrong lane.https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.4132638,-1.4034221,3a,60y,16.69h,72.98t/data=!3m1!1e3

Politics are in play here, some wings were damaged. Those who blame the white car prefer the left wing and those who blame the black car prefer the right wing !

Guest busdriver1
To be fair, the white car should not really be in the left lane to exit from the second exit no matter what the lane markings say. Basic common sense.

Yes, the lane markings do contradict that on the approach but not actually on the roundabout where they conform to logic.

To be fair to all here the culprit is Sheffield Council for the contradictory markings on the approach.

The Audi should not have turned from the middle lane(M1S/Bawtry) to go towards the M1N without making sure it was clear, as it approached the roundabout in the wrong lane (if the destination was M1N) The road clearly marked that the M1N was the left lane only. The Audi should have also been aware that the left lane allowed for vehicles going straight on to R'Ham.

That's changing the argument. The argument was 'who changed lanes?'.

Also if there is stand still traffic you wouldn't see which lane is for which direction. Therefore the lane markings take priority.

That's changing the argument. The argument was 'who changed lanes?'.

Also if there is stand still traffic you wouldn't see which lane is for which direction. Therefore the lane markings take priority.

Changing the argument?

The Audi was in the wrong lane for the M1N.

The traffic wasn't standing still, even if it was, would you be in the middle lane for the first left turn for the M1N?

Edited by SnailyBoy

I can't make my mind up now! I drive this route often and always take the white car route, as do all the cars I've followed. Never seen any one attempt the black car manoeuvre.

However, whilst the arrows on approach indicate white car is in the right position, I can see why the black car would follow the lane markings on the roundabout. If the black car is right, arrows are wrong. If white car is right, lane markings are wrong.

Interestingly, area51's link at post 344 seemingly shows old lane markings where it is clear that the left lane can go either left or straight on. The lane markings now as seen in Nugget's video seem to suggest that the left lane should only go left, despite the arrows indicating straight on or left.

If lane markings take precedence over arrows, then black car route might be correct, but like others have said, most taking the road to Rotherham would take the white car's route.

Repainting needed, definitely.

when i go to Rotherham from shepcote lane, i used to take the white car route not any more, i have been cut up many a time doing that i now take the black car route with no problems.