2017 General Election candidates (Sheffield)

Irvine Patnick - involved in Hillsborough cover up as I recall?

Not sure if mabtilned

First time ever that Labour have won all labour seats in South Yorkshire , think may be first time theve ever had Hallam.

Hallam has just gone to hell in a hand basket!!!!

A question please, does anyone know - if I have an issue about which I need to write to my MP, but I don't like or trust my MP, am I allowed to write to someone else's MP?

Irvine Patnick - involved in Hillsborough cover up as I recall?

Somewhat to the right of the Tory party in Thatcher's time and, yes, he got it very badly wrong with Hillsborough. Completely blew it for himself and the party. Richard Allen took over for LibDems, but with a stronger candidate and local support Tories should have got much better results before now.

This time round it seems well educated electors didn't believe the main reason to vote Clegg was because the Tories couldn't win here, and to keep out Corbyn. If they'd concentrated on their own policies instead LibDems might have saved a lot of paper and got more votes.

A question please, does anyone know - if I have an issue about which I need to write to my MP, but I don't like or trust my MP, am I allowed to write to someone else's MP?

Generally not. Or rather, you can write, but they will quite likely ignore you.

It is a problem I have tried to chase once or twice, but I would not claim to have done so exhaustively.

John Osborne and Irvine Patnick served as MP's for Hallam for years . Both left a lot to be desired as a local MP . Then along came Richard Allen who was an absolutely brilliant constituency MP. I know dyed in the wool Tories that voted for him because he was so good . Nick Clegg comes along on the back of what he had built , To me he seemed more interested in promoting Nick Clegg than connecting with the people of Hallam , he left that to a very good party infrastructure . But even that could not sustain him following his disaster on tuition fees and coalition .

Clegg was there for the taking despite his infrastructure ,the problem with the Tories is that they don't have an Infrastructure of activists .It takes years to build up starting a council level but they seem to have given up trying in Sheffield despite having one of the most incompetent councils in the country

Generally not. Or rather, you can write, but they will quite likely ignore you.

It is a problem I have tried to chase once or twice, but I would not claim to have done so exhaustively.

Looks like I may just leave !

Guest sibon
Looks like I may just leave !

:wave::wave::wave::wave::wave:

You should still write to your constituency MP who is elected to represent everyone, regardless of party politics. If you try this and don't get the response you want then you can write to the MP with responsibility for the issue you are raising (ie the Minister for Health, or the Shadow Minister for Health). Most MPs will try and satisfy their constituents, whether you voted for them or not.

Or you can be a cry baby and throw your toys out of the pram. The choice is yours.

Edited by xsf7

Or you can be a cry baby and throw your toys out of the pram. The choice is yours.

A bit harsh, when you have no idea what the issue is.

Apart from that though, most of your post was fair point.

A bit harsh, when you have no idea what the issue is.

Apart from that though, most of your post was fair point.

It was a little harsh, but my point is that most MPs behave professionally and do a good job, so there's no reason not to use them if you need to - even if they can't help you they are good at suggesting other options and signposting - so you are only cutting your nose off to spite your face if you don't even give them a try based on what party they are from.

Edited by xsf7

so you are only cutting your nose off to spite your face if you don't even give them a try based on what party they are from.

I did not read that as the reason Kaytie was wanting to avoid them, but yes, you are right.