2017 General Election candidates (Sheffield)

No, but Sky News is reporting LibDem activists seem to be expecting Nick to have lost! No news of a recount, but result must be imminent otherwise.

My friend was an activist for nick. She will be gutted.

If Nick did the job he was paid for (ie turn up in Parliament and have a decent voting record) and if he had not been a Tory Collaborator then his position would be a lot safer. In 2015 he scraped in by the skin of his teeth with Tory voters propping him up. He can't rely on them this time.

Labour threw all their resources/best candidate at a decapitation strategy in 2015 and fell quite a way short. This time their candidate is the bouncer from West Street Live. They aren't even trying.

The Lib Dem will extend their majority - the natural Tory voters in Fulwood/Ecclesall/Dore/Totely etc (remember this is the 3rd richest constituency outside London) will prop them up. They are too posh to do posters - that's more a student thing.

You were saying?

Good riddance Clegg

Labour threw all their resources/best candidate at a decapitation strategy in 2015 and fell quite a way short. This time their candidate is the bouncer from West Street Live. They aren't even trying.

The Lib Dem will extend their majority - the natural Tory voters in Fulwood/Ecclesall/Dore/Totely etc (remember this is the 3rd richest constituency outside London) will prop them up. They are too posh to do posters - that's more a student thing.

Wow. Imagine what they could have achieved if they were trying!

Just a shame we didn't get Oliver Coppard this time - he would have made a great MP for Hallam.

While Labour did increase their share of the vote by a couple of percent in Sheffield Hallam, the main reason Clegg has lost is the massive move of voters from LibDem to Conservative.

Did they really think that they could get a Tory win when what they were really doing was handing it over to Labour?

While Labour did increase their share of the vote by a couple of percent in Sheffield Hallam, the main reason Clegg has lost is the massive move of voters from LibDem to Conservative.

Did they really think that they could get a Tory win when what they were really doing was handing it over to Labour?

This is a very good question. I live in Sheffield Hallam.

I was brought up in a staunch Labour North East Derbyshire mining area, where you'd be hung if admitted to voting anything other than Labour. But I made my own mind up.

Over the years I've voted Labour, Lib Dem and Conservative depending on which party I felt was best equipped to do what is right for our country at that time.

I've lived in Sheffield Hallam now for 20 years and the pattern has been the same.

As usual, we've had a very vigorous campaign, from the Lib Dems. Nick Clegg himself has been knocking our door, (as he has done in the past), we've seen a glimpse of Labour and nothing at all of the Conservatives on the doorstep.

The philosophy here is, "Conservatives can never win - so if you don't want Labour you must vote Lib Dem".

And it's been like this all the time I've lived here.

My view is this, if you keep on voting for someone other than the one you really want, all you are doing is perpetuating the situation where the 3rd party can never win.

I've always found it surprising that the Conservatives haven't done better in Sheffield Hallam Ward, considering it's one of the most wealthy, professional, wards in the country. But, they don't put much effort in when it comes to campaigning. They give ME the impression that they've given up and I find this really poor on their behalf.

This time, I went out and voted for what I believed in, rather than some tactical vote. I voted Conservative, because I think they are the most competent party to get us out of this Brexit mess. Albeit, I was reluctant, because I felt they barely deserved my support seeing as they never come campaigning here.

Did I think my vote would result in a Tory win in Sheffield Hallam? - no.

Did I think it would risk handing it over to Labour by voting Tory? - yes.

Did I care about that? No.

Locally, I think some good has come out of it for the Conservatives, or for those who might vote Conservatives but have been brow-beaten into thinking there's no point because they can't win. There was a big increase in votes for the Conservatives this time - and maybe - just maybe - that might encourage local Conservatives to put a bit more effort in to it next time, to give us some genuine alternatives other than these two lefty parties.

Nationally it's the worst result anyone could have hoped for. A hung parliament.

Edited by DerbyTup

LibDems kept hammering away with their core theme, "Tories can't win here". Really? 25 years ago Hallam was a reasonably safe seat until lost after Irvine Patnick's tenure.

Nick's team deluged us with attention, but natural Tories may have felt their intelligence was being insulted. A feeling may have grown that Tories could win here. With a strong push Hallam could return to the blues, but it's going to be interesting to see how the parties deal with the new reality of very marginal government.

LibDems kept hammering away with their core theme, "Tories can't win here". Really? 25 years ago Hallam was a reasonably safe seat until lost after Irvine Patnick's tenure.

Nick's team deluged us with attention, but natural Tories may have felt their intelligence was being insulted. A feeling may have grown that Tories could win here. With a strong push Hallam could return to the blues, but it's going to be interesting to see how the parties deal with the new reality of very marginal government.

I'd forgotten that 1978 - good point. Yes I do vaguely remember Irvine, although I wasn't living in this area at the time.

I am sick to death of Lib Dem propaganda coming through my letter box tbh. They must have spent millions on bloody leaflets of all types and guises. I could fill my blue box every week just with Lib Dem rubbish that comes through the letter box. And I feel like you do about this - absolutely swamped with it and it has a negative effect.

I hope you are right that this result might just encourage some of these Tories to stop voting for the others and start believing they could actually win in this ward - but they'd need to get a candidate who can be arsed to come and campaign on the doorstep.