Is it a law for one and not the other?

She is an admitted drug addict...I just it strange that she would have any career as a heart surgeon. Never mind the frenzied knife attacks on people

What's the % of adults that have at some point used drugs in the past, over 33% isn't it. That includes 1/3rd of surgeons.

High stress career, relatively easy access to prescription meds, often from a well off background. I'd bet that a higher than average proportion of Drs have tried coke.

The only difference here is stabbing someone and it all coming out publicly.

What's the % of adults that have at some point used drugs in the past, over 33% isn't it. That includes 1/3rd of surgeons.

High stress career, relatively easy access to prescription meds, often from a well off background. I'd bet that a higher than average proportion of Drs have tried coke.

There will be many who don't like it, even after trying it its not for them.

My old dentist 15 year ago had such a funny look in his eyes and a weird personality. Although I don't know what coke is like and I am not qualified to judge this, my gut feeling and intuition somehow told me he was on it.

Pethedine is probably their powder of choice I expect...

Playing devils advocate here but what good would be served by a custodial sentence in this case.

It's her first offence and she is already a drug addict. She can never work in a position of trust with the public but could she have a bright future as a researcher? Chuck her in jail and she could end up with much worse problems, maybe hardened addictions.

I'd give her a chance.

because often when a judgement is passed down one of the reasons will be to send a message, or set an example that the crime is unacceptable and the punishment will be severe.

What sort of message is sent out by allowing a privileged young adult off the hook after they stab someone with a knife?

---------- Post added 18-05-2017 at 11:42 ----------

The judge in question is being criticised by a male abuse charity and there is a petition to get him removed, so he might himself end up being a victim of his own leniency.

Was sentencing not postponed till after the academic year is over?

The judge could still impose a prison sentence?

Yes he could, and if pressure mounts perhaps he's more likely to.

because often when a judgement is passed down one of the reasons will be to send a message, or set an example that the crime is unacceptable and the punishment will be severe.

What sort of message is sent out by allowing a privileged young adult off the hook after they stab someone with a knife?

---------- Post added 18-05-2017 at 11:42 ----------

Was sentencing not postponed till after the academic year is over?

The point I'm making is this kind of judgement is made every day. There's an obvious angle to this story that makes it not the norm.

I had a relative who was killed by a young driver over the limit. He didn't get a custodial sentence. It was close but the judge decided to give him a chance to carry on his career. We were angry at the time but on reflection it wouldn't have changed anything. It wouldn't bring her back and he'd already had almost 3 years waiting for the trial with his life in limbo. The prisons are overflowing anyway. Nothing would have been gained.

This kind of decision happens dozens of times a day

---------- Post added 18-05-2017 at 12:54 ----------

Yes he could, and if pressure mounts perhaps he's more likely to.

All she has to do is make one small mistake and she'll be inside. People are forgetting that- the scrutiny of her life and behaviour will be intense.

Good point.

Medicine must be one of the toughest careers to choose. I bet that there is a high proportion of doctors who suffer with mental health difficulties probably aggravated by stress, but feel compelled to keep quiet about it.

It's strange because doctors will invariably say that it's good to talk, and the process of unburdening yourself helps people move forward. I wonder whether doctors feel that they have to be constantly strong for everyone else? I would hope that their colleagues would be sympathetic, and probably at some point in their career have felt exactly the same.

Good point.

Medicine must be one of the toughest careers to choose. I bet that there is a high proportion of doctors who suffer with mental health difficulties probably aggravated by stress, but feel compelled to keep quiet about it.

It's strange because doctors will invariably say that it's good to talk, and the process of unburdening yourself helps people move forward. I wonder whether doctors feel that they have to be constantly strong for everyone else? I would hope that their colleagues would be sympathetic, and probably at some point in their career have felt exactly the same.

There is a confidential counseling service for doctors who feel they need help, but I suppose they have to recognise they have a problem first.

---------- Post added 19-05-2017 at 04:05 ----------

The point I'm making is this kind of judgement is made every day. There's an obvious angle to this story that makes it not the norm.

I had a relative who was killed by a young driver over the limit. He didn't get a custodial sentence. It was close but the judge decided to give him a chance to carry on his career. We were angry at the time but on reflection it wouldn't have changed anything. It wouldn't bring her back and he'd already had almost 3 years waiting for the trial with his life in limbo. The prisons are overflowing anyway. Nothing would have been gained.

This kind of decision happens dozens of times a day

---------- Post added 18-05-2017 at 12:54 ----------

All she has to do is make one small mistake and she'll be inside. People are forgetting that- the scrutiny of her life and behaviour will be intense.

I know, her life plays out the same now regardless of who knows about it so is prison necessary or warranted?

History repeats its self this week.

Natalia Sikorska a business management student has escaped punishment for shoplifting goods valued at £960 .

The judge told her that she was a student with a place at University and a woman of considerable talents .

Sikorski who also works as a business development manager was given a conditional discharge as the judge told her that she had a potentially bright future .

Mean while on the Manor!!!!!.

I could agree more with a shoplifting charge, it's not really something you should go to prison for as a first time offence.

A decent stretch of community service or something would be sufficient, a conditional discharge is abit too light.

History repeats its self this week.

Natalia Sikorska a business management student has escaped punishment for shoplifting goods valued at £960 .

The judge told her that she was a student with a place at University and a woman of considerable talents .

Sikorski who also works as a business development manager was given a conditional discharge as the judge told her that she had a potentially bright future .

Mean while on the Manor!!!!!.

Meanwhile on the Manor, and dozens of other council estates, private housing estates etc etc, exactly the same occurs.

What's your point?