Hillsborough Barracks

It was the toll bar keeper's cottage for the old Langsett turnpike road - here is a link to a picturesheffield.com photo.

Thanks hillsbro, I now remember I've asked this before and you answered it then! I'll try and retain this information this time.

I have a vague recollection of reading that British Army barracks were built to standardised plans depending on where in the world they were being built, and that Hillsborough barracks were built to Indian barracks plans due to an error by the War Department. Has anyone else heard of this?

My dad used to walk me past there often in the mid 50's on the way to Hillsborough Park ( I always had to walk on the top of the low wall beside the road). He told me the gun loops were there because of a mix up in the plans and the ones for a barracks in Ireland (Dublin ?) had been sent to Sheffield.

Burdalls gets a mention in another post and I'll put in a word about Jenks (Royston Jenkinson) whose recent death I have just read about in the Crookes thread. He was the chemist there, product testing, after getting an external London University degree which I believe was some achievement back then. He was also scoutmaster for the 144th (Crookes Congregational) which is how many will remember him.

When dining in The Garrison restaurant and pub, ( which is part of the Barracks ) the atmosphere is eerie as they've kept the original walls and steps. There is even a uniform in a large frame, but I do not know the regiment. I think the full history of The Barracks must be very interesting.

I like the freestanding tower on the Langsett Rd entrance to Morrisons. I guess it had a sentry in it at some point in the army days? I always try and think of some sort of modern kiosk use for it but I've not come up with anything yet - any suggestions?

The barracks is a fantastic set of buildings but it seems almost forgotten, as if it's just a supermarket and a car park that we no longer notice.

The tower which is at the top of the car park adjacent to the car park entrance joins on to my favourite road name in Sheffield- Swamp Walk. It sounds more like a dance craze than an alley to me :)

I really like the big wall as seen from the McDonalds car park, particularly the visible (very tall) flight of stairs and door opening high up in the walls. The history of the building is so visible that it just makes you wonder what happened in that doorway.

The reuse of most of the buildings has at least meant that they are still in existence and maintained. If whatever bright spark hadn't thought to convert them then I have no doubt that they would have been demolished like so many other significant but unlisted buildings were in the post war era. The toll house wouldn't have that happen though, because I'm pretty sure that one is actually listed.

Guest makapaka
The tower which is at the top of the car park adjacent to the car park entrance joins on to my favourite road name in Sheffield- Swamp Walk. It sounds more like a dance craze than an alley to me :)

I really like the big wall as seen from the McDonalds car park, particularly the visible (very tall) flight of stairs and door opening high up in the walls. The history of the building is so visible that it just makes you wonder what happened in that doorway.

The reuse of most of the buildings has at least meant that they are still in existence and maintained. If whatever bright spark hadn't thought to convert them then I have no doubt that they would have been demolished like so many other significant but unlisted buildings were in the post war era. The toll house wouldn't have that happen though, because I'm pretty sure that one is actually listed.

My grandad went awol when my mum was born. He had 3 weeks left to serve and was made to go to Hillsboro barracks and parade every morning and stay there and parade at the end of the day before being allowed back home.

My grandad went awol when my mum was born. He had 3 weeks left to serve and was made to go to Hillsboro barracks and parade every morning and stay there and parade at the end of the day before being allowed back home.

How interesting .

Back in '64, I was accepted on a Building Construction Diploma course at Sheffield Poly but I was told to try and obtain some on-site experience before the course started. I joined Longdens and was sent as a labourer to the Barrack Parade ground where they were constructing an extension to the BRS Depot.

Some 12 years later, I joined Sheffield Insulations and found myself eventually with an office in the main Barrack block on Langsett Road overlooking the same parade ground I had worked on earlier. Somethings are just meant to be!It is a wonderfully well-constructed building and I know as I was involved with some of the internal alterations at that time.

Hehe, I have always had a soft spot for this name as well. Once told my eldest the lane was named after a dance craze called the 'Swamp Walk'! :D

The toll house wouldn't have that happen though, because I'm pretty sure that one is actually listed.

My father made the comment "they cant touch that" back in the 60s/70s so it was probably listed before then.

Edited by medusa
fixed tags

The corner towers are listed:

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/results?q=hillsborough%20barracks

As is most of the rest of the site, it seems.

---------- Post added 21-08-2017 at 23:40 ----------

But I can't find a listing for the toll house.

It doesn't surprise me that the site is listed, but I've been told by several people that the toll house is listed, which is why it's never been extended to make it more sensible as a modern dwelling, or demolished and rebuilt further back on the site so that the windows aren't splashed constantly with water every time it rains, so that one is a bit surprising.

I remember going into Morrisons a few years after it opened. During the summer it was very warm inside the shop. I remember asking why didn't they have air conditioning, and I was told they are not allowed to because it was a listed building, although I am not sure how this would effect the building. I was also told because of this it was difficult trying to keep the fruit and veg fresh. Since then they have made improvements with refrigeration.

It's a lovely building and you can look at old photos in Morrisons and get an idea what it was like.