Hillsborough Barracks

Back in the 1940's to 60's this was where Burdall's gravy salt was made. There was also a nursery school, which I attended around 1945

50+ years ago part of the accommodation was used for housing.

True. I had a friend who lived there for couple of years - quite roomy accommodation with a bathroom over the corridor. Loads of stone steps to get to the flat As I remember it).

It was also for a period the BRS, depot (British Road Services) in the period when we had a nationalised transport system.

I worked for Longdens on an extension to the BRS Depot in 1964 which was located on the Barrack's parade ground.............then later worked for Sheffield Insulations from 1976 to 1982 which was located in the buildings surrounding the parade ground.

Many soldiers who died in Hillsborough barracks were buried in Wardsend cemetery. I believe there is a designated area. Not so many died of war wounds as of diseases acquired from an ' encounter' with member(s) of the opposite sex - or so I am told.........

Well hopefully it won't need to be :huh:

Unless part of basic training will be negotiating the fruit and veg section in Morrisons.

Don't rule it out, especially when intelligence from area 51 n a half report large movement of Hillsbro tree penguins. Scary times indeed.

Edited by GLASGOWOODS

Don't rule it out, especially when intelligence from area 51 n a half report large movement of Hillsbro tree penguins. Scary times indeed.

:huh:very strange.. I drove through Hillsboro last Wednesday evening, and noticed a strange phenomenon, loads of "creatures" leaping into the river don. what colour are tree penguins, these were all white with blue stripes.

maybe it was some sort of mating ritual. the plot thickens.

Here is a photo of one, just about to take the plunge.

thems em , Hillsboro. well done.:hihi::hihi::hihi:

Here is a photo of one, just about to take the plunge.

Haha! Good effort!:thumbsup:

---------- Post added 23-05-2017 at 23:01 ----------

:huh:very strange.. I drove through Hillsboro last Wednesday evening, and noticed a strange phenomenon, loads of "creatures" leaping into the river don. what colour are tree penguins, these were all white with blue stripes.

maybe it was some sort of mating ritual. the plot thickens.

Blue n white Huddersfield fans not known for their cleanliness ordered to wesh before entrance to the holy land.:P

Is the stone building at the top of Bamforth St/junction of Langsett Rd anything to do with the barracks? It looks like it was some sort of gate house that pre-dates all the red brick terraces.

I like the freestanding tower on the Langsett Rd entrance to Morrisons. I guess it had a sentry in it at some point in the army days? I always try and think of some sort of modern kiosk use for it but I've not come up with anything yet - any suggestions?

The barracks is a fantastic set of buildings but it seems almost forgotten, as if it's just a supermarket and a car park that we no longer notice.

Edited by Bilge

Is the stone building at the top of Bamforth St/junction of Langsett Rd anything to do with the barracks? It looks like it was some sort of gate house that pre-dates all the red brick terraces...
It was the toll bar keeper's cottage for the old Langsett turnpike road - here is a link to a picturesheffield.com photo.