First Mainline strike thread

Ah, you didn't disappoint, maybe you'll prove me wrong next time. And please get my gender right in the future instead of assuming I am a man.

your a women... no wonder, your such a pain to deal with :hihi::thumbsup:

Get the impression from reading these threads that most of those harping on about the bus drivers have their own transport. There are plenty of grumpy workers elsewhere so why pick on bus drivers. I use the bus a lot and its a pain if they are on strike but they do deserve a decent rate of pay especially with all the crap they have to put up with. And some of the drivers dont deserve a job but dont tar them all with the same brush. My husbands been on the buses for over twenty years and a nicer bloke you couldn't hope to meet. The wage he comes home home with is a joke

Well said Sasky1! For those criticising the drivers, imagine working for First in this area: a company that is making huge profits, a company that pays drivers much more elsewhere, a company that is endlessly increasing fares in the pursuit of even more profit. Wouldn't you feel ever so slightly aggrieved at that? Especially if you've been with the company (or at least with the predecessors that it took over) for decades and it's the only job you know. In a city with only very limited competition from other bus companies, and therefore few similar jobs nearby.

your a women... no wonder, your such a pain to deal with :hihi::thumbsup:

And here we go with the personal insults again...

And here we go with the personal insults again...

lmao tht was actually a joke

Ah, right. Must admit I got rid of my car recently as I'm commuting to Manchester via train and tram so haven't really been paying attention to the petrol forecourt prices. I thought it was pretty stable at about 90p per litre.

Recent increases in fuel prices shouldn't affect First; as a bulk user they agree fuel deals which (I believe) cover a whole year in advance. Their reasons for the fare increases last year (as given to me in a letter when I complained about them) were because of increases in fuel prices and increased pay to drivers. Neither of which turned out to be true (surprise surprise!).

:huh::suspect: Re the Polish drivers. Why are First employing them? Because no-one in this area wants the job!!! Wonder why??????

Right.

On Thursday I saw an old friend who still works for First,and here is the OFFICIAL word from the shop floor.

The company have had 2 years to sort out the pay offer.

At this point,the company has not made an offer to the union for a pay rise.

The union is now writing to the company for an offer to be made.

If the company does not reply by the end of April,or the offer is derogatory (sp),the union will perform a "test the water" ballot as to any industrial action.

I will keep in touch with my mate,and he will inform me of any developments.

He is a driver of many years service,and has connections with the union,so there is no need to not believe him.

Our lass heard 2 Mainline drivers today, on about voting against a strike.

Is First Mainline going on another strike??

Anyone else heard owt?

Surely not over pay? If the busses go up anymore they'll price themselves off the road. I worked out that to do the same journey I do each day by bus, it'd end up costing around 3 times what it does by car, even including the cost of my insurance for the year!

The money I save from avoiding the busses effectively pays all my motoring costs for the year! I think it's safe to conclude that public transport is ridiculously expensive.

Surely not over pay? If the busses go up anymore they'll price themselves off the road

I can't believe I have to explain this, but I will. The amount charged to the public doesn't go straight into the pockets of the drivers. Thus the pay is not really linked at all to the fares charged.

Well although i'm not aware of any price increases with First group i am aware that the PTE Travelmasters will shortly rise, so maybe expect First to follow suit as i'm sure they played a large part of the TM rise.

If they don't give a flying fig what misery they cause by striking then i don't care if they get a slap on a weekend night. They deserve it. They should really be put in chains whilst being horse whipped and dragged through town and city centres and forced to apologise for wrecking several sacred days of OAPs lives by leaving them stranded in their own homes.

I see the quality of posts are on the up again:hihi:

If they don't give a flying fig what misery they cause by striking then i don't care if they get a slap on a weekend night. They deserve it. They should really be put in chains whilst being horse whipped and dragged through town and city centres and forced to apologise for wrecking several sacred days of OAPs lives by leaving them stranded in their own homes.

So would you're philosophy also apply to the Fire Service when they strike (quite often I might add) may they deserve a slap too.

Oh and while they are at the NHS do they get a slap too for talking about strike action.

I know teachers,firemen,nurses,bus drivers,prison officers lets give em all a slap for ruining several scared days.