Best Chippy's in the past in Sheffield

Definitely the Paragon Chip Shop at Firth Park. ( About 50 odd years ago )

Sorry, but I have to disagree with you :) It was good, but the best one at Firth Park was the one on Bellhouse Rd just below the junction with Bevercoates Rd. Sadly it only seemed to open a couple of evenings a week.

Just remembered - was it called Acme Fisheries/Fish Bar ?

Edited by Broakham
distant memories resurfacing

Now i think it's Woodseats Fisheries on Chesterfield Rd. When i was a kid it was Wilkinsons on the manor, Prince of Wales Rd Shops. When it was open the queue used to be massive.That's when they still came in Newspaper!

The one on the balcony overlooking the bus station. Can't recall it's name.

Ainleys chip shop on Chippingham Street Attercliffe used to queue up waiting for them to open allso remember beer off run by a family called Wildgoose

Ainleys chip shop on Chippingham Street Attercliffe used to queue up waiting for them to open also remember beer off run by a family called Wildgoose[

there were many when i was growing up around broomhall they were all good chip shops, there was, wainers, later,gardials, bradleys, ibbotsons, one up regent st. even one we called mucky emmas, her's got that name as she used beef dripping to fry.

Edited by willybite

If that's the one on the corner of Hobart Street then my Mum and I used to go there most Saturday lunchtimes in the '50s whilst visiting my Grandma.

As a child I found them delicious; it was probably the dripping/lard they were fried in.

I still enjoy them as an occasional treat but I can't say nowadays that they taste the same.

echo.

yes thats the one

a big bag of mix for a tanner

Now i think it's Woodseats Fisheries on Chesterfield Rd. When i was a kid it was Wilkinsons on the manor, Prince of Wales Rd Shops. When it was open the queue used to be massive.That's when they still came in Newspaper!

Got to agree about Wilkinsons, Smedleys used to be across the road and Wilkinsons could give them a fifty break.

Someone earlier mentioned Tony's, if they meant the one in Eckington that used to be superb a few years ago, but the last time we went there it was just average.

Definitely the Paragon Chip Shop at Firth Park. ( About 50 odd years ago )

come on fran, you lived near enough to know that Hoskins was the best chippy on shiregreen.

When I come to see my family I go to Woodseats Fisheries, when I come over to watch Wednesday I go to Riverlin fisheries never had bad food at either.I remember the one on Prince of Wales Rd we used to pass it on the no2/3 circular bus was always busy

Rafos on Abbeydale road....Lambs on Staniforth road were nice chips as well

re recent thread - Best Chippy in Sheffield..someone responded about one at the bottom of Dykes Hall Road. Wasn`t there another, half way down/up opposite the Castle/Sammy Twelves shop??