Best Chippy's in the past in Sheffield

I remember quite a few good ones from the past

Clarke's on broad street

Jack lomas on Main Road Darnall

Jack gillivers in Mosborough

Johny hills oak road Beighton

Also there was a really good one On staniforth road it was run by two old ladies! Can remember the name of this one it was situated below cliffs diy

Having visited many chip shops years ago, I have to say that Lomas' was the best I had (they say it was the dripping), and I'm not even from Darnall. The best in my area was 'White House' on Andover Street, Pitsmoor.

---------- Post added 11-05-2017 at 23:38 ----------

I remember quite a few good ones from the past

Clarke's on broad street

Jack lomas on Main Road Darnall

Jack gillivers in Mosborough

Johny hills oak road Beighton

Also there was a really good one On staniforth road it was run by two old ladies! Can remember the name of this one it was situated below cliffs diy

Was Cliff's DIY near the junction with Woodbourn Road ?

No, you might be thinking of Jennings but that was more an ironmongers than a diy. George Cliffes was just before you got to the Balfour on the way to Darnall. He had another shop at Gleadless Townend.

No, you might be thinking of Jennings but that was more an ironmongers than a diy. George Cliffes was just before you got to the Balfour on the way to Darnall. He had another shop at Gleadless Townend.

Yes Jim, the one near Woodbourn Road was a pretty good ironmongers. Now I'll try to get back to 'Chip shops of the past'.

Pattersons at the bottom of Dykes Hall Road,1960's.

Tony's on club garden road

Most recently The Harlequin on Howard Street

Further back in time Tomlinsons on Prince of Wales Road

and of course Jack Lomas on Main Road at Darnall, although the years of batter and fat adhering to the inside of the fryers was the stuff of nightmares, I tried not to look at it or think about it.

Having visited many chip shops years ago, I have to say that Lomas' was the best I had (they say it was the dripping), and I'm not even from Darnall. The best in my area was 'White House' on Andover Street, Pitsmoor.

---------- Post added 11-05-2017 at 23:38 ----------

When I started work for Sheffield City Council in 1977 Jack Lomas at Main Road Darnall used to treat us rent collectors to a free fish and chip dinner each fortnightly collection!!

The word was around to make it the last call at lunch time.:hihi:

It was really good and he would seat me in the back with a cuppa. It was really appreciated by us all.:)

Definitely the Paragon Chip Shop at Firth Park. ( About 50 odd years ago )

Memories of forty years or so ago - when they transferred the business- Vaus`s

fishcakes opposite Wadsley Church, Worrall Road...unbeatable..I`ve found

no other chippy in the country to compare with those fishcakes - and they were the real ones - not scallops.

Have you tried the chippy opposite Hillsbro Park,I had a couple of nice fishcakes from there, I think it's called the Jolly Rodger

When I was a lad, Queenies on Hartley Brook shops was the place to go. When they started opening at tea time it was like the January sales with people queuing outside an hour before it opened.

Tony's on club garden road

If that's the one on the corner of Hobart Street then my Mum and I used to go there most Saturday lunchtimes in the '50s whilst visiting my Grandma.

As a child I found them delicious; it was probably the dripping/lard they were fried in.

I still enjoy them as an occasional treat but I can't say nowadays that they taste the same.

echo.

Definitely the Paragon Chip Shop at Firth Park. ( About 50 odd years ago )

I'm with you on this one, never tasted any better.

PS. I'll have a load of scraps on mine please!