Care homes - why do people still not know this?

Good quality care homes cost a lot to run. How do you know that such homes are a rip off? The high cost may represent market value when all costs are factored in. If you have an identical product, then price becomes the determining factor. However, in the case of care homes, quality and value for money take precedent.

I think you might be missing my point, I haven't said that care homes are a rip off.

Families could do much more of the caring in many cases. Some cultures (even in this country) willingly look after their elderly or infirm without question. Some homes have three generations under the same roof and all contribute something.

Looking back, it was quite common years ago for Brits. to look after older family members by having them move in. That would be a solution for some nowadays instead of automatically palming them off on strangers.

OK, I can almost hear some people screaming already about not having room, having to work, kids are too young, bla bla bla, but it is possible for some people some of the time to care for parents/relatives.

Thank God it still happens for some lucky owd uns, even if it is just cooking and caring for them in their own home.

Regarding paying for the residential home, I think it is unfair that some people lose their pension and any benefits, but others also lose their life savings and the family home. It should be graduated depending on wealth.

Just as someone else has said already, the savvy ones make sure the house is in someone else's name and the money kept below the threshold.

If I was looking to make money off the elderly and the state I would have put a low tender in when the council were forced to take bids, after a while split the company so one part held the property and the other provided the care and paid rent to the property holding company ie you. Then up the rent for the care provider, as the council only pay so much then look to the families, maybe assess the person as low needs at first and once they were settled in reassess them and say they have got worse, each time upping the charges or letting the family move them out. The final part of this would be to close the home and keep the property portfolio, usually on big areas and then convert them or knock them down for housing, just an idea

Scottish people don't have to pay.

People who live in Scotland don't have to pay. Scottish people (like me) in England do. ?

OK, I agree with that, but at least two of the elderly people I mentioned had no sign of dementia, and ironicly the third who spent most of her life sitting in a chair was said to be in danger of 'tripping over the rug' in her home. She fell within 2 weeks of being in the home.

It's a natural instinct to reach out and try and stop someone falling, but do you know staff is taught during training to not attempt to do this in case they injure themselves. It's the kind of society we live in I'm afraid.

Also falls will be more common in residential homes because the elderly will be walking longer distances than in their own home.

That price is surprising you?

Two care assistants for 15 mins - because it will almost certainly be two needed to dress someone safely. That 15 mins of time is going to be a half hour of wages to them because of travelling time. So that £7.50 is in effect an hours wages.

That's minimum wage. You think care assistants should work for less than minimum wage?

My Nice is one of the above. Travelling between "jobs" is not paid. Only paid for time spent with the person.

Angel1.

My Nice is one of the above. Travelling between "jobs" is not paid. Only paid for time spent with the person.

Angel1.

Not a very good company in my opinion if they don't pay mileage between jobs.

Not a very good company in my opinion if they don't pay mileage between jobs.

I agree, and have told her the same.

Angel1.