The character of Sheffield people

Guest busdriver1
Ah the old "easy to get into the country side".

So that's a plus!

So the strongest selling point is that its easy to get away from it?

That actually is a plus in my book.

Ah the old "easy to get into the country side". Not having a pop, but do you think on Manchester forum they would use relatively easy access to countryside as a plus point? Can't take much longer from Manchester than Sheffield to get to somewhere green can it? Or Derby, for that matter. Mind you Derby is a right dump. Sheffield still beats Derby.

So that's a plus!

I presume you're not familiar with Manchester. Try walking from Manchester city centre to the country and see how long that takes !

I presume you're not familiar with Manchester. Try walking from Manchester city centre to the country and see how long that takes !

About the same from my reckoning. All depends where you're starting from and what you define as "country".

Using google maps

Manchester centre to nearest point in the Peak District (Tintwhistle)

= 13.8 miles (44mins)

Sheffield centre to n.p. in Peak District (Rails Rd)

= 4.3 miles (17mins)

Guest makapaka

Always makes me laugh when people say that we're 20/30 years behind Leeds - hows that measured - have they got flying cars up there or something....

Try driving from anywhere east of the city centre and get to the peak district. Hard work and not 17 minutes!

Im not saying Manchester is a drivers utopia or anything but to get to the peaks from half of Sheffield ain't fun.

Always makes me laugh when people say that we're 20/30 years behind Leeds - hows that measured - have they got flying cars up there or something....

Its measured on how the city centre looks and feels and how it attracts high street retail. It also measured on how the commercial business sector is encouraged to trade and grow roots contributing to the citys overall GDP.

Fundamentally its measured on how the city council can adopt a positive pro business, attitude.

Guest makapaka
Its measured on how the city centre looks and feels and how it attracts high street retail. It also measured on how the commercial business sector is encouraged to trade and grow roots contributing to the citys overall GDP.

Fundamentally its measured on how the city council can adopt a positive pro business, attitude.

Is it really.

So how has someone established what a city should be like in 2038 to undertake this comparison?

Is it really.

So how has someone established what a city should be like in 2038 to undertake this comparison?

Is London's development years in front of Sheffield or years behind are about the same?

Guest makapaka
Is London's development years in front of Sheffield or years behind are about the same?

I've no idea what London will be like in 2038.

Or are you saying we are in 1998?

Or are you just saying that there is more development in London - which there is - obviously.

Anyway - we are talking about Leeds - how has this 20 (or 30) years ahead been calculated?

Using google maps

Manchester centre to nearest point in the Peak District (Tintwhistle)

= 13.8 miles (44mins)

Sheffield centre to n.p. in Peak District (Rails Rd)

= 4.3 miles (17mins)

Like I said, depends on the definition.

Sheffield centre to Redmires reservoir - 6.7 miles - 2hrs 25 mins

Manchester centre to Worsley (Start of large mossland & woodland) - 6.8 miles - 2 hrs 16 mins