The character of Sheffield people

[/color]

Who holds it back other than you.. ??

Snob

I rest my case!

The people are very friendly. I moved here from the other side of the Pennines, and immediately felt the difference between here and most Lancashire towns and cities.

Must be bloody awful over there then.

You should try talking to people other than business people, might broaden your horizons a bit :wink::wink:

Son of a coal miner mate. Brought up in poverty - worked in several different industries - lived all over the UK and in several countries overseas - close friends include folk from all walks of life - no, my reference points are very broad. But do tell me what I’m missing?

---------- Post added 29-01-2018 at 22:24 ----------

Do I detect sour grape's

I’m sure you do! Because that’s your way of dismissing valid criticism of what is wrong and needs to change. I think I’ve been totally objective and fair with my remarks based on my experience. I am not the person I refer to who got knocked back when trying to create a business here. I’ve not been in that situation.

But I have been in the situation of needing to fly international professional business people into the UK for meetings and chose other cities over Sheffield for that because they have an airport and a 5 star hotel for a start!

Pages from a Cold Point

Well alot of views all in all. And thanks to every one for them.

And now for my reflections after a little while being here.

I walk to work every day. And on the journey, in either direction, i've never seen a single face which looks happy. This is extremely off putting if i'm honezt. Additionally, i,ve not had a single person volunteer a conversation with me. Agaist that, when i have started conversations, i've found the person personable. So my impression is that Sheffield people hide their light under a bushel.

As for the city and suburbs, if you're young i guess it could be ok. If you're older and came here alone, i havent found a lot of diversion within the city. I'm not interested in spectator sports or shopping. The peaks are nice, but access is limited to weekends if you want to see them in the daylight.

So i guess i'm going to be cursed now, but they're my impressions so far anyway. They may yet change.

I personally find that its a friendly place. Perhaps its important to remember that in the modern world people seem more unhappy in general, but on that depressing note, comparatively I still find Sheffield a nicer place with, generally speaking nicer people :)

Son of a coal miner mate. Brought up in poverty - worked in several different industries - lived all over the UK and in several countries overseas - close friends include folk from all walks of life - no, my reference points are very broad. But do tell me what I’m missing?

---------- Post added 29-01-2018 at 22:24 ----------

I’m sure you do! Because that’s your way of dismissing valid criticism of what is wrong and needs to change. I think I’ve been totally objective and fair with my remarks based on my experience. I am not the person I refer to who got knocked back when trying to create a business here. I’ve not been in that situation.

But I have been in the situation of needing to fly international professional business people into the UK for meetings and chose other cities over Sheffield for that because they have an airport and a 5 star hotel for a start!

Almost all your talk is money based 'poverty/different industries/knocked back/international proffessional business people/blah/blah/ blah'

Whats that got to do with the CHARACTER of Sheffield people

Until you have lived elsewhere you have no grounds to complain about Sheffield.

A few years ago I had the misfortune to have to live in a West Yorkshire town - sorry city -for a year. A 'city' not far away from Leeds beginning with 'B'.

Not until I lived there did I appreciate my lovely home city of Sheffield.

Sheffield might not be 'up there' with the likes of Leeds and Manchester but I am glad of it.

Sheffield has still got the small town and friendly mentality which makes it endearing. So many people move away but they very often return to this city which is still a large town with old fashioned friendliness and care.

I moved away but couldn't wait to move back. Sheffield born and bred and proud of it - warts and all.

Edited by Daven

Until you have lived elsewhere you have no grounds to complain about Sheffield.

A few years ago I had the misfortune to have to live in a West Yorkshire town - sorry city -for a year. A 'city' not far away from Leeds beginning with 'B'.

Not until I lived there did I appreciate my lovely home city of Sheffield.

Sheffield might not be 'up there' with the likes of Leeds and Manchester but I am glad of it.

Sheffield has still got the small town and friendly mentality which makes it endearing. So many people move away but they very often return to this city which is still a large town with old fashioned friendliness and care.

I moved away but couldn't wait to move back. Sheffield born and bred and proud.

Totally agree I have to go to Leeds every Wednesday, they are a right bunch of miserable buggers!

Totally agree I have to go to Leeds every Wednesday, they are a right bunch of miserable buggers!

Haha - my son lives there now and I think he would agree with you. :hihi:

Leeds lives in the shadow of Manchester and London and has a very heavy and fatty chip on it's shoulder.

Edited by Daven

I think a lot of Sheffield's and its people's character has to do with its history.

Sheffield was a heavy industrial city which meant most people were workers with only a few at the top running things. It didn't have the large middle class that cities like Manchester or Leeds had. So (virtually) everyone was in things together - which probably accounts for the friendliness (as well as its traditional left wing leanings).

Since then there been a big influx of people coming to study and never leaving. Though if you're a go-getting/career focused type person, you're probably going to elsewhere.

Personally what is good about it is also what its lacking. Its a laid back sort of place, which is good in some ways - its not in your face like Manchester. The flip side is that things don't happen in the same way as they do in Manchester or Leeds.

I've always liked it because people a friendly, its big enough for stuff to go on, but it doesnt feel like a big city, plus its green and easy to get into the countryside.

I think a lot of Sheffield's and its people's character has to do with its history.

Sheffield was a heavy industrial city which meant most people were workers with only a few at the top running things. It didn't have the large middle class that cities like Manchester or Leeds had. So (virtually) everyone was in things together - which probably accounts for the friendliness (as well as its traditional left wing leanings).

Since then there been a big influx of people coming to study and never leaving. Though if you're a go-getting/career focused type person, you're probably going to elsewhere.

Personally what is good about it is also what its lacking. Its a laid back sort of place, which is good in some ways - its not in your face like Manchester. The flip side is that things don't happen in the same way as they do in Manchester or Leeds.

I've always liked it because people a friendly, its big enough for stuff to go on, but it doesnt feel like a big city, plus its green and easy to get into the countryside.

That absolutely sums Sheffield up - nice one mate.:thumbsup:

Ah the old "easy to get into the country side". Not having a pop, but do you think on Manchester forum they would use relatively easy access to countryside as a plus point? Can't take much longer from Manchester than Sheffield to get to somewhere green can it? Or Derby, for that matter. Mind you Derby is a right dump. Sheffield still beats Derby.

So that's a plus!

I think 'city that doesn't feel like one' is a plus.