Red bananas - someone please explain...

What's that all about then? Bought some red bananas from Morrisons on Saturday, out of curiosity.... Tried to eat one on Saturday, and it was very hard, so abandoned it. Tried another tonight... still hard. Tried to persevere with eating it, but it just dried my mouth out in seconds! Another one for the bin. Do they need to be left for weeks to ripen? Or am I assuming too much in expecting to actually eat them?

Are you sure these aren't some kind of Netto hybrid? :suspect:

my mum bought some red bananas and she did the same as u, she left them to ripen for about a week and they were ok to eat

BANANAS - RED BANANA

Red bananas are smaller in size than a common Eat 5 to 9 A Daybanana and the peel is a deep red or purple. It has a creamy white to pink flesh, with a slight raspberry-banana flavor. The overall taste is similar to a common yellow banana. They are imported from Costa Rica and are a favorite in Central America.

Selection

Select firm bananas free from bruises or cracks in the peel and look for a deep purple color. This indicates the banana is ripe. If the color of the peel is lighter, the banana is not ripe. As with common yellow bananas, red bananas will ripen in a couple of days at room temperature. Red bananas are available year round at specialty markets and larger supermarkets.

Storage

Store bananas at room temperature, do not refrigerate. Turn bananas occasionally and store them in an uncovered location.

Preparation

Peel fruit prior to eating. Red bananas are used in similar ways as common yellow bananas. They are most frequently eaten whole raw or chopped and added to desserts or fruit salads. Red bananas are one of varieties commonly used for store bought dried bananas

I read that web page on Saturday, and thought that "a couple of days" meant "a couple of days".... 3 days now.... 2 wasted bananas... These things don't grow on trees, you know! Guess I'll follow Killerbabe's mother and leave them for a week :)

I read that web page on Saturday, and thought that "a couple of days" meant "a couple of days".... 3 days now.... 2 wasted bananas... These things don't grow on trees, you know! Guess I'll follow Killerbabe's mother and leave them for a week :)

Geez. Morrisons! :hihi:

I never knew you could get red banana's :o