15 year old killers appeal against their sentences.

I really couldn't believe the two 15 year olds who knifed a mother and daughter to death had appealed against their sentence, saying it was too harsh,and some slimy, greedy lawyer was willing to defend them? They only got 20 years each,probably be out in 10 or 12.The sentence was not long enough,it should have been life,and I really mean life in the absence of there being a death penalty.Still I have no doubt the do gooders will shoot me down in flames.

Edited by ivan edake
spelling mistake

It would serve them right if the sentences were increased! It works both ways.

I assume that this is the killers sentenced for killing Elizabeth and Katie Edwards?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-lincolnshire-39799340

I don't blame the lawyers one bit. The legal system has lots of routes which can be used to make sure that the sentences issued in one case are appropriate gauged against both the law and the sentences issued in other similar cases and if there is a valid reason for the appeal then they will need a lawyer (and probably a barrister) to represent them for the case to be presented.

Seeking an appeal does not mean that one will be granted an appeal (although in this case it appears that one was granted) and being heard at an appeal does not mean that the outcome will be in the appellants' favour. The original sentence could be upheld or the sentence could actually be extended.

Sentence can't be increased here - they will either dismiss the appeal and uphold the minimum term or reduce the minimum term.

If the case was before the court as an Attorney Generals Reference it could be increased.

Not sure why a lawyer is slimy and greedy for doing his/her job:loopy:

I really couldn't believe the two 15 year olds who knifed a mother and daughter to death had appealed against their sentence, saying it was too harsh,and some slimy, greedy lawyer was willing to defend them? They only got 20 years each,probably be out in 10 or 12.The sentence was not long enough,it should have been life,and I really mean life in the absence of there being a death penalty.Still I have no doubt the do gooders will shoot me down in flames.

Would you prefer it if people were left without legal counsel?

I doubt that they are hiring someone personally, they will most likely be represented by someone appointed by the state. :huh:

I doubt that they are hiring someone personally, they will most likely be represented by someone appointed by the state. :huh:

i doubt that, it will be a intrest group, who hoover our legal aid up.

Legal aid has been severely cut. Don't expect to get any if you ever need it yourself, and I think there's basically no chance that this will be funded by legal aid.

He'd probably love that. And public floggings and hangings. You know the type.