To the person losing money at ASDA South Road ATM about 15mins ago

Whatever happened to "Finders keepers,Losers weepers"?

It was always a crime called theft by finding. :roll:

I have done that twice in ASDA on the self service tills and luckily a kindly young lady ran after me to give me my money.The second time a member of staff ran after me.Good on you for doing that,honesty says a lot about a person.:thumbsup:

no reflection on the op,

i wonder with people, whether it would have been different if they had found 50 quid in the street, if i am "honest" i think i would pick it up and put it in my pocket.

But they didn't.

Lost property is the remit of the police - not ASDA. Sadly not everyone is going to be as honest as the OP and if it goes to the police then there is a nice paper trail making sure everyone stays accountable.

Unfortunately police are having difficulty responding to life and death emergencies. There have been some budget cuts recently. Lost property would, albeit unfortunately not be attended by the police.

no reflection on the op,

i wonder with people, whether it would have been different if they had found 50 quid in the street, if i am "honest" i think i would pick it up and put it in my pocket.

Yes I think most people would do the same in that situation.

I was in the US a few years ago and went to get some money from an ATM. I went to insert my card but it wouldn't let me. The message on screen said 'press a key to start'. It then asked me what kind of transaction I wanted and I hit the cash withdrawal button. It then asked me what amount and I put in $50 or whatever. Then it spews out $50 in notes! I'd still not put my card in the machine at this point!! Then the message asks if I want another transaction - I hit 'no' - and it ejects someone else's bank card.

Obviously someone had used the machine but left their card in there. They were lucky someone didn't empty their entire account.

This was in a shopping mall - so I headed to Security and explained what had happened, handing over the money and the card - and suggesting they put a call out over the tannoy for the person named on the card.

I don't know if the person was ever re-united with the card - but it seemed the right thing to do, to hand it in and suggest they call them over the tannoy.

If I saw a tenner in the street I'd pick it up and keep it unless it had obviously just been dropped by someone else and was their property. That's a totally different situation.

The first situation doesn't make me a good person or some kind of Saint (I could still be a corrupt, evil, nasty old so and so despite such gestures) and the second situation doesn't make me a bad person or a sinner.

Edited by DerbyTup

When I was a postman we had to report any findings of money to the Assistant Inspector and s/he had to fill in a long form with all the details.

When I found a fiver I duly reported it and he started to fill in the form with all the usual personal details, name, number, shift, etc. Then the details of what was found and finally a description of where it was found. 10 minutes in before we got to the last bit when I told him it was outside the newsagents where I'd bought my paper.

He was not best pleased and asked me why I'd told him about it. "I thought you'd be interested", I said.

Exactly the same thing happened to me at Sainsbury's on Crookes. I handed the £30 to one of the shop staff. They were bemused and reluctant to take it at first. They commented on how honest I'd been. I told them, "Yes, and now it's your turn"

no reflection on the op,

It was more than £50 we found at the ATM...

It still didn't go into our pockets. It went into the ASDA Customer Service desk because it was an amount of money that someone might have needed to live on :thumbsup:

---------- Post added 07-05-2017 at 13:34 ----------

Exactly the same thing happened to me at Sainsbury's on Crookes. I handed the £30 to one of the shop staff. They were bemused and reluctant to take it at first. They commented on how honest I'd been. I told them, "Yes, and now it's your turn"

My thoughts as well! I do hope that the staff member who wrote it into the book (we made sure we watched them logging the details fully before we left) was honest and made sure it was available to the person losing it if they went in to claim it.

It was more than £50 we found at the ATM...

It still didn't go into our pockets. It went into the ASDA Customer Service desk because it was an amount of money that someone might have needed to live on :thumbsup:

Kidley

Please mr/mrs Placebo the sentence at the top of my post "no reflection on the op,"

Means it had absolutely nothing to do with your post, it was a post of what i would have done in different circumstances.

Edited by Groose
fixed quote tags

Kidley

Please mr/mrs Placebo the sentence at the top of my post "no reflection on the op,"

Means it had absolutely nothing to do with your post, it was a post of what i would have done in different circumstances.

Oh we didn't take offence don't worry - we didn't take it the wrong way :hihi:

Agree with you if anything

Edited by Groose
fixed quote tags

Oh we didn't take offence don't worry - we didn't take it the wrong way :hihi:

Agree with you if anything

Thanks for your reply Placebo :thumbsup:

Edited by Groose
fixed quote tags

They did as it is was and ATM on ASDA premises, handing it in to ASDA would have been the quickest and easiest way and ASDA would then be responsible. Or would it have been best to phone the police, wait around till they came and then wait more while they fill in reports just for some money that was found in an ATM.

Which I addressed in my post so I don't know why you rehash it.

Lost property is the remit of the police. No one else.

---------- Post added 08-05-2017 at 10:47 ----------

Unfortunately police are having difficulty responding to life and death emergencies. There have been some budget cuts recently. Lost property would, albeit unfortunately not be attended by the police.

No obviously they don't deal with it... for example....

https://beta.met.police.uk/report/lost-or-found-property/