Eurovision - Should we leave?

Why can't we watch the show if we don't enter?

I can't believe millions of British people are watching it just to see the UK entrance flop again.

1 hour ago, Baron99 said:

If we're in, (we were last night of course), my wife watches it every year.  I tend to dip in & out & I do like the voting bit when they go to the various countries' capitals for the novelty value. 

However for me, the whole thing lost its sparkle when Terry Wogan stopped doing the commentary.  He was genuinely funny. 

For me Graham Norton is just plain insulting at times.  Take last night, one of the singers does her little bit of her song & Norton's comment; "She's eighteen & has a cat!  Well we all can't be fascinating." 

Think it's about time we found a new presenter for this gig & not Rylan please.  

I concur. In retrospect Norton was never the right choice. At the time Wogan stepped down though, Norton seemed the natural successor. Hard to speculate whom else they could have gone with back then. 

It's getting to be like Dr Who, isn't it? Who's next? I'd go with a woman. Someone like Clare Grogan or Lauren Laverne. 

Alas, I think we've many more Graham Norton years left yet.

On 04/05/2017 at 23:49, Puggie said:

Taxpayers (through TV licence) pay a contributory amount for having a British entry every year.

A Freedom of Information [request] made to the BBC back in 2012 found that £310,000 was paid for that year's entry alone.

In the world of television and media £310,000 is nothing.

Just think of the millions and millions of pounds that get spent obtaining football rights or access to sporting events.  I personally find watching a load of primadonnas kicking a bag of wind around a grass pitch less entertaining than staring at the wall but it clearly attracts viewers and is popular.  

I will say the same about Eurovision.  Personally I quite like the silliness of it.   Its tradition and good for a laugh especially after a few glasses of something.  

Whilst it might not be to everybody's taste it certainly attract massive viewing audiences I suspect more than makes a return on investment.

While I'm a ardent EU Remainer/Rejoiner I do think the Eurosplodge (was it Kenny Everett coined that one?) is dire and I'm all for brexitting this twollop.

All I can say is I don't watch it,watched it a few times in early years when abba ,bucks fizz,but I find it rubbish now so I would not miss it at all.

12 hours ago, ECCOnoob said:

Just think of the millions and millions of pounds that get spent obtaining football rights

Not millions and millions, billions and billions.  Amazing amounts of money.

Not so easy to work out tv rights as they split I to ever smaller packages but..

About £3,000,000,000 per year with overseas rights.

Obscene amounts of  dosh