Road repairs - railway bridges excluded?

Archer Road is currently undergoing re-surfacing (at long last).

The pavements at the 2 railway bridges that cross Archer Road have not been re-surfaced, and given that the road surfaces at these bridges have not been prepared for re-surfacing, it appears that Amey may be excluding these areas.

Can I assume that bridge footpaths and road surfaces are the responsibility of Network Rail and will not be included ? If so, what utter nonsense !!

I would think it's probably more of an issue of how the surfacing is done and how quickly it can be achieved. There's probably an issue with using the planing machine on the bridges or something.

Email amey and ask them

I'm guessing that the bridge decks under the road and footpath will need re-waterproofing.

This involves removing the surfacing down to the bridge deck, applying new waterproofing and resurfacing. This all needs carrying out in a continuous operation as you can't have traffic running on the exposed bridge deck or newly applied waterproofing. They might do this at the same time as the rest of Archer Road or they may come back and do it another time but there's no point planing off and resurfacing without doing the waterproofing. My guess is we'll get new surfacing on the road and they'll do the bridges later on as it might need more than an overnight closure to get everything done. If there's any refurbishment required to the parapets this will also need to close the railway line, and the timings for this might not coincide with the rest of the work.

Potholes on bridge decks are often a sign of failed waterproofing and the ones on Archer Road are particularly bad, certainly the one nearest Woodseats Road. Resurfacing without fixing the waterproofing is false economy as the new surfacing will fail very quickly.

I'm guessing that the bridge decks under the road and footpath will need re-waterproofing.

This involves removing the surfacing down to the bridge deck, applying new waterproofing and resurfacing. This all needs carrying out in a continuous operation as you can't have traffic running on the exposed bridge deck or newly applied waterproofing. They might do this at the same time as the rest of Archer Road or they may come back and do it another time but there's no point planing off and resurfacing without doing the waterproofing. My guess is we'll get new surfacing on the road and they'll do the bridges later on as it might need more than an overnight closure to get everything done. If there's any refurbishment required to the parapets this will also need to close the railway line, and the timings for this might not coincide with the rest of the work.

Potholes on bridge decks are often a sign of failed waterproofing and the ones on Archer Road are particularly bad, certainly the one nearest Woodseats Road. Resurfacing without fixing the waterproofing is false economy as the new surfacing will fail very quickly.

Thanks for your reply.

I asked one of the Amey workers last night and he said they couldn't touch the bridges because of the risk to wildlife - he thought bats.

Your response seems more plausible !!

Funnily enough, if there are bats, it's a perfectly valid reason why they can't work on it.

don't seem that long since the bridge was rebuilt.

don't seem that long since the bridge was rebuilt.

Are you thinking of the Woodseats road Bridge, the next one towards town?

That was replaced as it was in a dangerous state. The two on Archer road were not as bad at the time but they are still old. Maybe they need some work as well?

Network Rail are notorious for leaving their property to go to ruin as they prioritise the most urgent work first.

Update.

Yesterday, I contacted Streets Ahead via their website. Amey have just called to inform me that they are awaiting permission from Network Rail to complete the re-surfacing of both bridges. Whilst this is good news, one would have thought that permission could have been sought much earlier to allow the work to be completed in a single visit rather than having to make another visit with the associated road closures and accompanying inconvenience to all concerned.

Update.

Yesterday, I contacted Streets Ahead via their website. Amey have just called to inform me that they are awaiting permission from Network Rail to complete the re-surfacing of both bridges. Whilst this is good news, one would have thought that permission could have been sought much earlier to allow the work to be completed in a single visit rather than having to make another visit with the associated road closures and accompanying inconvenience to all concerned.

Stop it now, with outside the box thinking like that you will be putting people out of a job!