Where is the justice? 8k stolen and not locked up

Very simple answer. It costs an absolute bomb to imprison someone. She's stolen money so it would be far better would it not to make her 'work' off that debt back to company she's taken it from or back to society in general through community work? Proper community work, not the lets all sit around having a fag in a van type which needs massive overhaul.

This isn't a liberal leftie line, it's a pragmatic one. Locking everyone up is insanely expensive and I'd ask what does it achieve when we could be using criminals time and energy to improve the state of our streets and parks for free.

Prison should ONLY be used when there is a risk to society that cannot be dealt with through other means or as means of rehabilitation. Prison offers little deterrent and little rehabilitation to the majority. We should not seek revenge through imprisonment.

---------- Post added 03-05-2017 at 11:17 ----------

No mate, it's nothing to do with the feelings of the criminals but all to do with trying to lower crime. You've just convinced yourself we all care more about the criminals than the victims because that suits your world view. Please don't misrepresent my views and points.

Im not disrespecting your views but your policy on crime is not about punishment. If i steal from work then i would expect to go to prison.

Community work is not punishment as far as im concerned. Its a slap on the wrist because you still have your freedom.

And the more the courts keep giving out these ridiculous sentences then you will see people voting for political parties that will get tough on crime.

These parties will be labeled as far right. Ignore at your peril the warnings from Brexit, Trump and Le Pen

Parties that listen to the people. People who are sick to death of a weak laughable justice system.

The real criminals in this story are employers who pay their workers less than they need to live on.

The real criminals in this story are employers who pay their workers less than they need to live on.

So its her employer's fault that shes a thieving scumbag? :loopy:

They were nice enough to give her a job in the first place. Which she didnt have to take. Maybe everyone who works there should steal then.

I cant afford a holiday home in Los Angeles, should i start stealing from work?

Absolutely no excuse or reason to steal.

---------- Post added 03-05-2017 at 12:05 ----------

Rich steal from poor, poor steal from rich. It goes round in a circle. There are plenty of rich who steal a lot more than 8k and never get punished.

She started doing it because she was struggling as the job paid too little. The money was used to pay the basic bare bills.

Lots of people struggle to pay the bills but get by without stealing.

I think our prisons are full

I was saying on another post last week that we are way too soft of crime.

It came with the usual liberals responses about it all being about rehabilitation and the feelings of the criminals.

She woulda got a 12 month sentence from me.

Our prisons are full. Whose sentence do we reduce to lock a thief up ?

She lives very close to her ex place of work and will be well known in the community. The shame that she should feel will be just punishment - that and paying the 8k back to the Co op.

Im not disrespecting your views but your policy on crime is not about punishment. If i steal from work then i would expect to go to prison.

Community work is not punishment as far as im concerned. Its a slap on the wrist because you still have your freedom.

And the more the courts keep giving out these ridiculous sentences then you will see people voting for political parties that will get tough on crime.

These parties will be labeled as far right. Ignore at your peril the warnings from Brexit, Trump and Le Pen

Parties that listen to the people. People who are sick to death of a weak laughable justice system.

You are right, I'm not interested in punishment or revenge, I'm solely interested in lowering crime.

But if you cover your tracks how could they know?. It seems reading the article the process could be easily done anywhere and unless so.eone highlighted it you'd probably get away with it for a while. But like most things greed catches you out!

Yes on reflection I have changed my mind. Perhaps the company is just foolish by not having policies and procedures in place to stop this for happening. Our local co-op is a prime example shoplifters walk out on a regular basis with the trolleys full of meat and alcohol. The store is designed as a shoplifters paradise! The tills are at totally the wrong end of the building. All the alcohol and the meat in the fridge rated propositioned right near the door but we can't blame the victim.

There is absolutely no excuse or reason to steal.

Rich steal from poor, poor steal from rich. It goes round in a circle. There are plenty of rich who steal a lot more than 8k and never get punished.

She started doing it because she was struggling as the job paid too little. The money was used to pay the basic bare bills.

That's ok then!

Hmmm, I really think a case like this could be judged on the woman at question. If she has a track record of stealing then this shouldn't go unpunished. If she really is a woman with a family who's struggling, then I'm unsure.

She should have 'I'm a thief, watch your pockets' tattooed on her face in a very large font