Where is the justice? 8k stolen and not locked up

I want there to be consequences, I just disagree that prison is the right consequence. We do not catch enough thieves for starters so the odds of getting caught is low, more needs to done to catch them and that takes more police before we get into the consequences stage. Prison is horrendously expensive and achieves very little in terms of rehabilitation for the majority of offenders. So now we got something that isn't a big deterrent, costs loads and has little impact on reducing reoffending, so it's sole purpose is to make us all feel better with a little bit of revenge. How pointless. No criminal shouldn't face consequences of their actions, I don't agree with the people saying she only stole from her employer so it's ok, it's not! I'd just rather the consequences focussed on community payback, rehabilitation and lowering offending rates. Those very things that prison has been shown to be terrible at.

We need to make community service a REAL thing. A proper useful tool to use in cases like these. Not sitting in a van doing nothing, but you must demonstrate you are delivering real community payback and if you cannot then you go to prison where you do the same stuff but based out of a prison cell.

For me, if someone said that this way was shown to not reduce reoffending rates or to act as a deterrent but for the majority of criminal then only someone who was more focussed on punishment and moral high ground over actually reducing crime would continue to support it, but yet we continue to push prison growth in the face of all evidence saying that this does not work! Countries with the lowest reoffending rates have the lowest percentage of their population in prison, and vice versa.

Just do some research into this from an as pragmatic position as you can and don't assume that people saying we should imprison less people are somehow not wanting us to be tough on crime, we do, we just looked at the figures and data available to anyone and made a decision based on that rather than our 'gut'.

My idea of Prisons may differ from the bleeding heart type of Prisons. My idea of Prison is a place where you would NOT want to go, at any price. Stuck in a cell for 23 hours a day, hard lines, do not commit the crime and you would not have to. Basic food, why should a jailbird get better food than our elderly who have committed no offence. No Telly, no electronic games, no gym, no reduction in jail time for been "good", but extra time in clink for been bad. I could go on. Would you like to visit my Prison, no - and neither would I, but there again as a honest bloke there isn't much chance of that is there. Prisons are for criminals.

Angel1

My idea of Prisons may differ from the bleeding heart type of Prisons. My idea of Prison is a place where you would NOT want to go, at any price. Stuck in a cell for 23 hours a day, hard lines, do not commit the crime and you would not have to. Basic food, why should a jailbird get better food than our elderly who have committed no offence. No Telly, no electronic games, no gym, no reduction in jail time for been "good", but extra time in clink for been bad. I could go on. Would you like to visit my Prison, no - and neither would I, but there again as a honest bloke there isn't much chance of that is there. Prisons are for criminals.

Angel1

Given that there have been severe cuts to the prison service over the last 8 years or so, many prisoners are stuck in their cells for 23 hours a day.

Or look over to the pond in America. Their crime rate is massive, and yet their prisons aren't like Butlins.

Having said that, I don't agree with the trend that many prisoners only serve half of their sentences. That to me seems wrong.

Edited by Mister M

Having said that, I don't agree with the trend that many prisoners only serve half of their sentences. That to me seems wrong.

I watched something the other day which mentioned prisoners only serving half their sentence. I think the rationale behind it is that once they've been released then it's like being permanently on parole; one wrong move and they can be locked up for the remainder of their sentence.

I may have got the wrong end of the stick but it sounded like "You have to behave for the rest of your life as you have the rest of your sentence to complete".

A woman has been recently sacked from the High Green Coop for doing the very same thing, voiding transactions and pocketing the money.

Thinking of this for a couple of days but am still perplexed as to how this scam works (Base Green Co-op). If a person is working at a till/cash register and a customer returns an unwanted item having already paid for it. Say item is worth 5 quid, then cashier gives customer 5 pounds back then till is then 'light' by that amount. Even tho' store has 'voided' item back (what happens to item then ?). If clerk takes cash value of item-another fiver- then till is 10 quid down which surely would be discovered later same day, I assume.

there is no customer, she makes a void,the till is up for the amount of the void, she then pockets the difference.